Discussion Board

Problem to install an application on emulator

I have an application to install on the emulator. It is a sis file. When I want to install it, i put it in the folder : C:\S60\devices\S60_3rd_FP2_SDK\epoc32\winscw\c\sys\install\sisregistry
    Then in the folder of the phone installation files. The file is there. But when I want to install it, I have the error : "Requested application access not granted".

Thanks for your help

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Problem to install an application on emulator

I am not sure if the path you have chosen is correct. Check http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ition_emulator, it describes other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    I am not sure if the path you have chosen is correct. Check http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...ition_emulator, it describes other issues.
    Thanks for your answer.
    However, I follow the instructions of the link but it does not work, I have still the prompt "Requested application access not granted"
    This prompt appears after it asked me if i want to install my application.

The application is probably not signed with a proper certificate and/or is not signed at all. What do you know about this application? Is it really intended for installing on the emulator?

I don't know a lot about this application except that it is .sis. Maybe you could advice me an application .sis which is inteded to be install on the emulator, like that i could check. I already check to install another application. I have got the same problem.
    But I believe that someone already installed this application on an emulator.
    Last edited by Cmoucaud; 2008-04-15 at 14:47.

I solve my problem by putting the .exe and .rsc files in the directory C:\S60\devices\S60_3rd_FP2_SDK\epoc32\winscw\c\sys\install\sisregistry\
    It seems it is not possible to install .sis application on the emulator.

1) Installing files in the emulator works.
    2) That is not the correct path where you should put the files you want to install.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by Cmoucaud View Post
    I solve my problem by putting the .exe and .rsc files in the directory C:\S60\devices\S60_3rd_FP2_SDK\epoc32\winscw\c\sys\install\sisregistry\
    It seems it is not possible to install .sis application on the emulator.
    Like Ltomuta mentioned, it works, but you cannot put your files at randomly selected directory. Check the SDK document for example on package files where you might get the details of the destinations and sources you need to package in a file for it to make it work.

Regular Contributor

If you have a sis file which was built for the phone, you will not be able to run it in the emulator.

Bernd

All answers are meant to say, we are not going to let you have joy by installimg software!
    We will play safe by sending you to BUY *(purchase), WE HELP only to those that know answer before they ask!
    and put plain, EMULATOR is for marketing purposes, applications are ment for buying, not using, you just dont use emulator for software, use it for clicking, we dont condone installing anything unless you drop and kneel saying please give us an answer "why to heck this epoc is not installing anything" and you will hear: "Since you are not given your mind to program anything, you just want to use emulator, and since it is a clicking device emulator, not the real deal, you go and install JAVA games, SiS is a secret ment only for elite all knowing software developers" and please dont ask for help... he want to use emulator, it is truly not ment for you so ...

Thank you for dropping by... The story here and in many other threads is simple: the emulator executes Windows applications specially compiled for the emulator, and inherently, for x86 processors. While the phones execute native Symbian applications, compiled for ARM processors. These are two completely separate worlds, the emulator can not run code built for devices, and the devices can not run code built for the emulator.
    Java is a different thing, since it is not compiled for a given operating system and processor, but for a virtual machine, so it always runs in an emulator if you want to say it this way, and the emulators are compatible with each other.
    Installation of .sis files on the Symbian/S60 emulators makes real sense solely for testing theme/skin packages. They contain images only, and thus do not care about the OS or the CPU.

Thanks for fast answer... We / He is not talking about working of applications, he speaks of INSTALLATION, all the emulators, with adequate Cert/Key pair does not let installation of any sis saying it is "Requested application access not granted"

and NO ONE AFTER 5 YEARS EVER SOLVED THAT. and even though MAYBE IT CANNOT RUN *my brother have a great app on Ovi Store, I have it full both PC and Device versions and Key/Certs for all the devices and emulator, still it CANNOT BE INSTALLED, and even though it does not require any resources, both me and brother made sure it is not .

1(0) Please solve and let us install and proclaim theat with huge words, NOKIA lost too much because of Certificates Policies,
    almost dropped last in sales.

2(0) Please solve and let us install, proclaim that with huge words! OK Nokia is leaving Symbian I know, but for old times sake let us INSTALL to try to cover some old unfinnished games for devices we once owned...

Quote Originally Posted by cyfu@yahoo.com View Post
    Thanks for fast answer... We / He is not talking about working of applications, he speaks of INSTALLATION, all the emulators, with adequate Cert/Key pair does not let installation of any sis saying it is "Requested application access not granted"

and NO ONE AFTER 5 YEARS EVER SOLVED THAT. and even though MAYBE IT CANNOT RUN *my brother have a great app on Ovi Store, I have it full both PC and Device versions and Key/Certs for all the devices and emulator, still it CANNOT BE INSTALLED, and even though it does not require any resources, both me and brother made sure it is not .

1(0) Please solve and let us install and proclaim theat with huge words, NOKIA lost too much because of Certificates Policies,

2(0) Please solve and let us install, proclaim that with huge words! OK Nokia is leaving Symbian I know, but for old times sake let us INSTALL to try to cover some old unfinnished games for devices we once owned...
    AS said you can not install device executables into the emulator, thus you should build for emulator and pack for emulator in order to get it installable to emulator, there are no bugs or problems if you do it in a way that it is actually designed to be done.

if your problem is with some other thing, then please simply open a new thread for that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cyfu@yahoo.com View Post
    They are tightly coupled things actually. Anyway, if you have an actual problem, show the .pkg file, preferably the resolved one (so no $(EPOCROOT), $(PLATFORM) things inside). Then we can try spotting something.
    and NO ONE AFTER 5 YEARS EVER SOLVED THAT. and even though MAYBE IT CANNOT RUN *my brother have a great app on Ovi Store, I have it full both PC and Device versions and Key/Certs for all the devices and emulator, still it CANNOT BE INSTALLED, and even though it does not require any resources, both me and brother made sure it is not.
    Ovi Store contains applications for the devices, they do not run on the emulator, as "we" have discussed already. If you really want to try things on your PC, ask the developer of the given application for supplying an emulator build. It is not a big work, developers of free applications might really end up sending you the files.
    Emulator and simulator are different things. What is available for Symbian/S60 is an emulator with the 'trick' described previously (it actually runs Windows applications). Developing a simulator is a huge task, and it would not have much benefit.
    If you mean N-Gage games, I also have some, and I am not happy with the possibility to lose them if anything happens to my N81. However, in fact those games would look really ugly on a PC.