Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nokia 6212 Classic NFC

Hey there,

I just received a press release from Nokia, promoting their new NFC Phone Nokia 6212 classic (Available Q3/2008).

Thus I wanted to know, if someone from Nokia probably could provide us with some basic information for developers, like
    * if it already supports SWP or
    * if the API/SDK is the same as on the Nokia 6131 NFC ...

Looking forward to reading some tech-stuff dedicated to this new phone.

Cheers,

Geri-m

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Nokia 6212 Classic NFC

here's what I answered in another thread

The device specs for 6212 NFC are coming (hopefully still today). To my understanding is pretty close to
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/3120_classic
    Although of course the NFC part is not on specs for that device...

But let's wait for the 6212 specs to pop out :-)
    What does SWP stand for, so I could look that from internal specs? I did not find any reference to the acronym SWP though. But then, I am not part of the product program, just a ignorant guy skimming through the internal product specs...

Hartti

Hi Hartti,

tnx for the Info. But I'm especially interested in the NFC Stuff ...

SWP = Single Wire Protocol; used to conntect the SIM Card to the NFC-IC.

Cheers, Gerald

Nokia Developer Champion

Did not find any details from the internal spec on SWP (or Single Wire Protocol).
    It should support all NFC Forum defined tags if that helps you to decode whether or not it supports SWP...

Hartti

Regular Contributor

There is also a new standard Host Controller Interface defined on top of SWP.
    http://www.gsmworld.com/news/press_2...ess08_21.shtml

Is the secure element separated from the SIM card on the 6212 as in the 6131?
    Last edited by alixwarnke; 2008-04-15 at 21:43.

Nokia Developer Expert

The 6212 does not support SWP, and the secure element is internal.

The same APIs as with 6131nfc are, as far as I know, supported. The 6212 is very much oriented towards peer-to-peer communication, including things like transferring objects (pictures, media, contacts, etc) from one device to another. So there should be plenty of new playground for developers, too ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jalkanen View Post
    The 6212 does not support SWP, and the secure element is internal.

The same APIs as with 6131nfc are, as far as I know, supported. The 6212 is very much oriented towards peer-to-peer communication, including things like transferring objects (pictures, media, contacts, etc) from one device to another. So there should be plenty of new playground for developers, too ;-)

If there will be no difference in API, SE is internal, JSR 177 not supported. There is no then difference for developers, you can't do nothing new.

Nokia Developer Expert

Um. I didn't say there are no differences, I only said that all the things that you can do with 6131nfc you should be able to do with 6212 as well.

There's a difference between these two sentences.

(No, unfortunately I can't be more specific right now. Patience.)

Tnx; that was the information I was looking for.

@Alex) what is actually the problem with the Nokia Not supporting the JSR177? The implementation in the Nokia for the communication with the secure element is implemented in a quite flexible way to run applications like on eg. the Sagem already implementing this JSR. I don't see a big difference ...

Cheers, Gerald
    Last edited by geri-m; 2008-04-16 at 11:11.

Regular Contributor

Can you say anything about the emulation capabilities or if the new phone can be considered an NFC Forum-compliant device?

Mhm, with regard to tag-emulation see this thread: http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...d.php?t=125748

If they don't change anthing with regard to hardware, the Tag emulator mode will offer JavaCard funktionallity. As this uses APDUs for Communication, it might be similary to a Tag-Type 4 ...
    Last edited by geri-m; 2008-04-16 at 13:58.

Nokia Developer Expert

There is currently no such thing as "NFC Forum Compliant", so it would be impossible to say whether something is or is not compliant.

Yes, NFC Forum has said that some things are mandatory and some things are optional, but there is no formal program in place (yet), and there are still chunks missing in the architecture. Nobody knows what "NFC Forum compliant" really means...

Quote Originally Posted by geri-m View Post

@Alex) what is actually the problem with the Nokia Not supporting the JSR177? The implementation in the Nokia for the communication with the secure element is implemented in a quite flexible way to run applications like on eg. the Sagem already implementing this JSR. I don't see a big difference ...

Cheers, Gerald
    That's true, there is no need to use APDUConnection because ISO14443Connection could be used. My point, that I hope it will be new functionality added.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jalkanen View Post
    There is currently no such thing as "NFC Forum Compliant", so it would be impossible to say whether something is or is not compliant.

Yes, NFC Forum has said that some things are mandatory and some things are optional, but there is no formal program in place (yet), and there are still chunks missing in the architecture. Nobody knows what "NFC Forum compliant" really means...
    It means that the device can read all NFC Forum mandated tag types and communicate with other NFC Forum-compliant devices (NFCIP-1).

Nokia Developer Expert

Well, um, yes, that is *your* definition. Unfortunately, companies have to use NFC Forum's definition, and that does not exist yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast