Discussion Board

tel: platform request

Hello.

I'm using MIDlet.platformRequest to open a the web browser or to initiate a phone call.
    Everything's ok with the browser.
    With the phone call I've a problem. When I initiate the call, the MIDlet is brought to background and the phone shows the popup (do you want to call... yes/no).

If I click "no", the platform does return correctly to the MIDlet, with the latter brought to foreground.

If I click "yes" and do the call, then (when the call ends) the phone does not return to the midlet. Anyway the MIDlet is still running, because if I click on the midlet icon, the midlet is not restarted, but it's brought to foreground correctly.

What can it be?

Thank you

Regular Contributor

Re: tel: platform request

have you implemented the pauseApp() method? This should define the reaction of a paused App.

Quote Originally Posted by lpinguin View Post
    have you implemented the pauseApp() method? This should define the reaction of a paused App.
    Hi. No, I didn't implement the pauseApp() method beacuse I've nothing to do.
    All the things I need to do for resume the status after pause is done before the call to platformRequest. In fact in the case of "http://..." requests everything is done correctly.

What should I do?

Super Contributor

lpinguin, this is incorrect statement. pauseApp could be called in this case (and some phones might even do that), however the MIDP spec does not require pauseApp to be called when a call is made or received. Nokia phones do not call pauseApp in this situation.

If the MIDlet can stay open in the background during the phone call (check what the platformRequest returns), hideNotify is called by the system. Unfortunately you cannot force your app on the backgound after the call has ended.

Paranoid_Android. Also note that even after a http-call you cannot be sure that the control is returned to your MIDlet after the brower is closed. If the system allows multiple applicatiosn to stay open at the same time, the user might have opened another application which is put to the foreground after the browser is closed.

Hartti