Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Question NullPointerException while using JSR82

Hello everybody,

I am developing an application which uses JSR82. When I used a function Connector.open("btspp://00005CCC3DC3:1;name=PitchiServer;authorize=false"), its giving an exception like the below.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Malformed URL

I searched from google that, this is because of having some spaces in the url. but there is no space in the url.

can any one help me please

Why do you supply a name parameter? Where is that channel number 1 coming from? Are you sure your service is on channel 1? I guess you want to connect (from this mobile phone) to a remote service (on another device) called PitchiServer: Is that correct?

Regular Contributor

Re: NullPointerException while using JSR82

Hi traud,

thankyou for replying quickly.

actually, I just dont know url for bluetooth, what is the channel? I dont know them clearly.

I just want to implement my own code.

for that I did like that.

can you please explain me clearly, so that I can able to execute it.

Super Contributor

if u want to implement ur own code u might first try to figure out how to do it and most importantly : know what ur typing
    it actually has no use to randomly pick code from the net, insert it in ur own program without having a clue what ur doing and then wonder with amazement why it doesnt work...
    there are some very strange words in this world : research, documentation, google...
    try those out

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply Tiger79.

You should create your own personal UUID (on UNIX via uuidgen) rather than using a static reference to (RFComm) channel 1 (behind the colon). This channel number might change. If you want to start, try selectService and this UUID. In the next evolution of your MIDlet do a full service discovery. However, if you want to start just with a URL like above, make sure you know the correct (and current) channel number you want to connect to. I cannot be more precise here, as I do not know your remote device. Then you can use something like this: btspp://00005CCC3DC3:1

By the way if you are new to J2ME, MIDlets and Bluetooth, I recommend to start with a book or tutorials rather than code examples as you will have to debug a lot on your own. There are a lot of bugs, tweaks and lessons to be learnt. Bluetooth is complicated. I do not have a good J2ME book at hand right now, however, start with the references of this one for JSR-82 (perhaps your library has its previous edition) or read at least the PDF coming with the specification. If you like to start with tutorials, continue here…

Regular Contributor

thank you very much traud for your valuable reply.