Discussion Board

Problem related Udp routing

huy

while sending messages from my pc to my cell using udp i am facing following problems,

-> i send my local cell phone ip when connecting with pc but that ip is different from the ip with which my cell phone connected to my pc.

-> in case of tcp connection every thing is ok but in case of udp i did not message on my cell phone from my pc.

is there any mechanism of routing messages in symbian? plz reply its very urgent.

Regards,

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Problem related Udp routing

It is not Symbian, it is your operator. It depends on your mobile operator if a public IP address is assigned to your mobile phone or not. If not, your device cannot be accessed via its IP address.
    I guess in the TCP case you are initializing the connection from the phone-side, that is why it works (your PC has a static, public IP address I suppose).

Huy

thanks for reply, yes my pc has public ip. so this means that there is no way to access my cell phone using udp?

Regards,

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by muaz111111 View Post
    thanks for reply, yes my pc has public ip. so this means that there is no way to access my cell phone using udp?
    Not really. It may be possible answering to an UDP request originated from your phone, but that "reply address" is valid only for limited time (some 20-90 seconds perhaps).

Huy

Plz tell me the method.i am not finding any way. i think should be possible as yahoo and msn messenger use to do.

Regards

Regular Contributor

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDP_hole_punching. It may help.
    The simplest solution would probably be to use a TCP connection (mobile originated). Is there any reason this is not feasible?

You could also try setting up a VPN which would sort this for you, but that may be hard work.

Huy

thanks for reply. i will see that link.
    tco connection is not feasible bcoz it is possible that other client would not have public ip.

by using vpn? plz guide me further about it.

Regards,

Regular Contributor

The crux of your problem is that you have two machines without public IP addresses. So your solution is to make them both appear on the same network or connect through a 3rd party.

Since neither is public, it will make setting up a VPN difficult.

So, either way, you probably need a machine with a public IP address. (Without this you don't really have and internet, just two little separate internets) Both your devices need to connect to something. You just have to decide what.

You could do something proprietary and set up your own public machine (talk to your ISP) or you might be able to utilize one of the chat protocols.

If it is just your machine you are talking about you could talk to your ISP again, pay a little more, and get them to give you a public IP address. Then the phone could connect directly to it.

[edit]
    Sorry, re-read this chain. You do have a public IP, so you just need to initiate the connection from the phone (as w_h suggested)