Discussion Board

Separate engine and UI part of code to increase porting to different platform..

How to separate Ui and Engine part of code so that it could be reused to no: of platforms ..? Any simple example would be of grt help ..Thnx.
    Regards
    Kamal :)
    ------------------
    You never expect what expects you.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Separate engine and UI part of code to increase porting to different platform..

Examples of making a DLL? Have a look at the SDK documentation and examples. Study also the Open C examples, they are as reusable and cross-platform as you can get.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Re: Separate engine and UI part of code to increase porting to different platform..

What kind of different platforms do you have in mind? S60 and UIQ or something like Linux and Symbian?

Bernd

S60 and UIQ ..till date ..
    Regards
    Kamal :)
    ------------------
    You never expect what expects you.

Regular Contributor

One way is to put everything in a dll which is 'engine' part and can be reused on different platforms. The application is then written for each different platform and uses the dll. I think there is a ducument from Nokia somewhere on how to do that, but I'm not sure where I've seen it.

Portability between Symbian, Linux and other platforms is very hard to get. Open C is quite helpful in this regard.

Bernd