Discussion Board

Thread: Tab navigation

Hybrid View

Tab navigation

Is there a way to find out what's the element focused when using the tab mode navigation ? The elements could be pictures with an id and an href to an url address.
    One shortage I noticed is the impossibility of using key event when the cursor mode is set.

Regular Contributor

Re: Tab navigation

Quote Originally Posted by patmarc View Post
    Is there a way to find out what's the element focused when using the tab mode navigation ? The elements could be pictures with an id and an href to an url address.
    One shortage I noticed is the impossibility of using key event when the cursor mode is set.
    There is no way to query focus but you can use focus/blur events to track focus changes.

There are some other issues regarding focus in tabbed mode that you will probably run into. First of all focus traversal doesn't always behave the way you'd expect it to based on the spatial layout of elements. Sometimes the focus goes away entirely only to return later after you try to move the focus a bit more. And finally, when commanding focus to some element you can get all kinds of strageness. E.g. if you focus a text field or area you often get crashes when you try to type into the text control after the commanded focus.

Those issues are good to be aware of so you don't spend hours or days trying to fix something that you can't fix in your own code.

Peppe

Nokia Developer Champion

Surely focus management would need some improvements (tabIndex?) to allow building more user-friendly widgets, or we'll finish implementing multiple custom focus management modes..

Pit

I totally agree with Jappi, tab index would be very useful. Presently it's quite tricky to keep track of the tab position. For complex navigation the only option seems to be only in the cursor mode.

Pat

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by patmarc View Post
    I totally agree with Jappi, tab index would be very useful. Presently it's quite tricky to keep track of the tab position. For complex navigation the only option seems to be only in the cursor mode.
    The upcoming Nokia WRTKit user interface toolkit for S60 WRT Widgets will help a lot in this area.

Peppe

Hey Peppe I have the beta version of the WRTKit. Could you develop a bit more in which way the UI toolkit could help me with tab navigation. I didn't take yet the time to study the library and use it, will do that soon . The examples coming with the WRTKit are quite nice. In the RSS reader example the active menu item loses its focus when scrolling up. Is that a known issue related to the WRT or is it only a bug in the code ?
    Thanks for your help
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by peppe@peppe.net View Post
    The upcoming Nokia WRTKit user interface toolkit for S60 WRT Widgets will help a lot in this area.

Peppe
    Where is the documentation on the UI toolkit?