Discussion Board

Packaging a signable freeware application

Hello. I've developed a speed camera warning python application for the N95. It uses the locationrequestor and appswitch modules. I was thinking of making it available as a freeware app, but am not sure what the best way to package it would be so that other people can sign it for their own use. I have a devcert certificate so have not had to use the new Open Signed Online process (yet). Should I put my app plus locationrequestor and appswitch into a single signable package or get people to sign each module individually.
    On a separate issue my app uses wav files as alert sounds. Is there a way to construct a sis file that can include the wav files and store them to a given folder on installation.
    Thanks

Super Contributor

Re: Packaging a signable freeware application

I can help with the sound files question. Yes, you can include them in the sis file using simplesis from Ensymble.
    It is very important that you read the instructions on the Ensymble site. After that, if you're a bit confused, here's how to make a sis of a folder (I'm not at my computer right now, so I'm going to write this from memory. I apologize if it's not exacly accurate):

1)Create the folder hierarchy exactly as you want it to be installed on your phone (remember to include the audio files in one of the folders)
    I imagine it would look something like this:
    Code:
    myappfolder
        |
        |
        myfolder1
            |
            |
            audio1.wav
            |
            audio2.wav
    2)In the command prompt, type:
    Code:
    python ensymble.py simplesis --drive=C --verbose myappfolder myappfolder.sis
    I mentioned --drive=C so that you would always know where the files are, instead of having to check if they are on phone memory or memory card.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2008-04-24 at 05:07.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by mposborne View Post
    I was thinking of making it available as a freeware app, but am not sure what the best way to package it would be so that other people can sign it for their own use. I have a devcert certificate so have not had to use the new Open Signed Online process (yet). Should I put my app plus locationrequestor and appswitch into a single signable package or get people to sign each module individually.
    This is no longer possible (for free). For an overview of the new signing options, see this thread.

Hi bogdan - thanks for that. I've used your help to get part of the way. I can now package my data files as a self signed sis and my app as an open signed sis but not yet produced a combined file so I'll continue experimenting.

Hi jethro. I used Open Signed Online for the first time and found it quick and easy. I was able to sign the third party apps because they used UIDs in the test range. Of course anyone I distribute the app to will have to do their own signing but they can do it for free.