Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Is there anybody know file system filter in S60_3rd?

Hi,All

Following is introduction of file system filter in Windows OS, how to use file system filter on S60_rd? As I know, Symbian do have file system filter, Thank you!!

What Is a File System Filter Driver?
    A file system filter driver is an optional driver that adds value to or modifies the behavior of a file system. A file system filter driver is a kernel-mode component that runs as part of the Microsoft Windows NT executive.

A file system filter driver can filter I/O operations for one or more file systems or file system volumes. Depending on the nature of the driver, filter can mean log, observe, modify, or even prevent. Typical applications for file system filter drivers include antivirus utilities, encryption programs, and hierarchical storage management systems.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Is there anybody know file system filter in S60_3rd?

In Symbian this kind of things are called Hook-s (like IP Hook for example). It can easily happen that something like "File System Hook" actually exists, but it is most probably not a public API.

Super Contributor

They are not public, you need to be a Symbian partner.

Note that there are very few use cases for a filer server plugin so I suggest the original poster say what they want to do.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I'm developing a SDK for a special SD card, this SD card have a private partition, if user login, the private partition will be accessable as a folder, else the folder will not show on File Manager

So, I need to be a Symbian partner, after that, what should I do?

Nokia Developer Moderator

You do not need to be a Symbian Platinum Partner yet, first you need help understanding whether whatever you're trying to achieve is:
    - doable
    - already enabled or supported (is this a standard, at least in your side of the world?)
    - requires a manufacturer's support for implementation (would you need a new SD driver?)

One way of getting such help is by discussion the issue here. Another one would be to buy some Technical Consultancy or to ask Symbian directly.

The file system hook may help you block access to a known resource but it cannot enable access to a resource unknown to it. On the other side, if the resource is known to the file system it is likely to be so on other OSs too and therefore the data protection fails as soon as you take the card out from the phone and plug it into a PC.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I already implement my App on Windows Mobile with WM file system filter, I'm pretty sure file system filter is doable and it's what I want, so, could anybody tell me how to get file system filter on Symbian?