Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dev cert

Regular Contributor

Dev cert

Does anyone know how to obtain a developer certificate? I followed the instructions on Nokia Wiki and sent an email to symbiansigned@symbian.com but got the following response back:

The Symbian Signed email address (symbiansigned@symbian.com) is closed.
    Support will continue to be provided on the public Symbian Signed Forum on the Symbian Developer Network (http://developer.symbian.com/forum/f...spa?forumID=54)
    Symbian support staff will be monitoring the forum to help answer any questions related to Symbian Signed.

This will provide a more efficient and visible system for answering queries related to Symbian Signed.

Please note that any emails sent to this address will not be responded to.

Queries should be posted to the Symbian Signed forum:
    http://developer.symbian.com/forum/f...spa?forumID=54

Best Regards,
    The Symbian Signed Team.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Dev cert

So basically you need to register with them first. To do this, get a private email domain (they don't accept public ones like yahoo and gmail). After that click on "Register now!" in the upper right corner, in the green area. Fill in your details etc.

After that, to get a developer certificate, you have to buy a Publisher ID (at least I think so; if someone else knows more about this please correct me). 200$ out the window.

After that, download the tool like it says on the wiki and make the request file. All the instructions are in the wiki article.

I'm pretty sure this post of mine hasn't helped you much, but I too am confused when it comes to symbiansigned.

The best of luck with this matter

Regular Contributor

Thanks Bogdan,

This is what I found out. Open Signed Online has taken over developer certificates.

Secondly, (and this could just be my computer): Open Signed Online does NOT work with Firefox on WinXP. I switched to IE and managed to go thru the forms without any problems.

I submitted a simple test app I made. I was told I would receive an email when the app is signed and ready for download.

(NEW) Just tested with FireFox.....yeah, there was just a glitch on my end. Firefox works great.
    Last edited by mshita; 2008-04-28 at 18:14.

I just wanted to add a few things that I found out during my struggle to understand the Symbian Signed system and the deal with TC TrustCenter's Publisher ID's.

You can perform basic capabilities (beyond the level of computation and accelerometer readings) on the phone, such as accessing the user's information, etc, with an Open Signed certificate. However, the Open Signed certificate is limited to each individual phone that you register on the Symbian Signed website using the IMEI that you find NOT on the phone's label inside the phone, but by pressing *#06# on your phone.

In order to access higher capabilities such as the detection of keypress, there is no other way than to use either Express Signed or Certified Signed certificates which requires you to have a publisher ID from TC TrustCenter for the price of $200 a year. But, if you do this, you will be free from IMEI limitations, which means you can install your software on any phone without having to get it certified every time.

I read somewhere that you can also get a publisher ID by means of publishing channels, but my long search remained fruitless. But I hope this helps you before you start looking for a private domain to get your email address from, in order to register for Symbian Signed.

Hyon

Regular Contributor

Hi, I'm quite baffled by all this signed stuff. When I first found out about Python I was thrilled to see how much could be achieved with so few lines of code. Now I need to use the clever keypress extension and I'm utterly dismayed by this signing business, to the point of wondering why Nokia bother.

Some people say I need to spend $200, others say get a devcert, some say it's free, I just have NO IDEA what to do to use a program with keypress given that I need to sign some stuff. It seems extraordinarily complex, and I can't find a decent guide.

If someone can list the basic steps needed to get keypress to work I (and in future many others) will be grateful.

Thanks, John

Quote Originally Posted by jtullis View Post
    Hi, I'm quite baffled by all this signed stuff. When I first found out about Python I was thrilled to see how much could be achieved with so few lines of code. Now I need to use the clever keypress extension and I'm utterly dismayed by this signing business, to the point of wondering why Nokia bother.

Some people say I need to spend $200, others say get a devcert, some say it's free, I just have NO IDEA what to do to use a program with keypress given that I need to sign some stuff. It seems extraordinarily complex, and I can't find a decent guide.

If someone can list the basic steps needed to get keypress to work I (and in future many others) will be grateful.

Thanks, John
    Hi John,

Forgive my confusion but by "keypress" are you referring to simply detecting when a button is pressed, or to the keypress module by Cyke64?
    In the first case you don't need to sign your application because detecting keypresses is easy. See this article and of course the corresponding section of the PyS60 documentation.

Regular Contributor

Thank you, yes, I'm referring to the module that requires signing, apparently I need to sign both the module and the script shell. I have no idea how to do that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtullis View Post
    Thank you, yes, I'm referring to the module that requires signing, apparently I need to sign both the module and the script shell. I have no idea how to do that. Thanks
    In order to sign the Script Shell, do the following:
    1)Download "PythonScriptShell_1_4_3_3rdEd_unsigned_testrange.sis" from here
    2)Go to http://www.symbiansigned.com, select the "Open Signed Online" method
    3)Enter your email address, the phone's IMEI (*#06# in standby) and the application you wish to submit.
    4)Select all the capabilities from the list there (even if you don't need them all, it never hurts to have them)
    5)Enter the security code and agree with the "Legal agreement" and submit
    6)You will receive a confirmation email and then a download link

The same goes for signing the keypress module.

Hope this helped and good luck

Nokia Developer Expert

Unhappy Re: Dev cert

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    In order to sign the Script Shell, do the following:
    1)Download "PythonScriptShell_1_4_3_3rdEd_unsigned_testrange.sis" from here
    2)Go to http://www.symbiansigned.com, select the "Open Signed Online" method
    3)Enter your email address, the phone's IMEI (*#06# in standby) and the application you wish to submit.
    4)Select all the capabilities from the list there (even if you don't need them all, it never hurts to have them)
    5)Enter the security code and agree with the "Legal agreement" and submit
    6)You will receive a confirmation email and then a download link

The same goes for signing the keypress module.

Hope this helped and good luck
    Hello Bogdan,
    I sent the PythonScriptShell_1_4_3_3rdEd_unsigned_testrange.sis file for "open signed online" and selected ALL capabilities using my phone's IMEI. Subsequently I downloaded the signed sis.

Unfortunately after I install this "open signed" version of PythonScriptShell in my phone I still am unable to run the sample "imgviewer.py" application in the E:\Python directory.
    When I run the script and selected either "Camera" or "Screen Shots" PythonScriptShell returned the following error:
    ... SymbianError:[Errno -21] KErrAccessDenied.

Any idea what went wrong?

P.S: I am using N78 (S60 3rd ed FP2)

Thanks and regards

Quote Originally Posted by sardjono View Post
    Hello Bogdan,
    I sent the PythonScriptShell_1_4_3_3rdEd_unsigned_testrange.sis file for "open signed online" and selected ALL capabilities using my phone's IMEI. Subsequently I downloaded the signed sis.

Unfortunately after I install this "open signed" version of PythonScriptShell in my phone I still am unable to run the sample "imgviewer.py" application in the E:\Python directory.
    When I run the script and selected either "Camera" or "Screen Shots" PythonScriptShell returned the following error:
    ... SymbianError:[Errno -21] KErrAccessDenied.

Any idea what went wrong?

P.S: I am using N78 (S60 3rd ed FP2)

Thanks and regards
    Hi and welcome to the Python Discussion Board.

I tried it on my N95 with both signed and unsigned Shells and got the same error (KErrAccessDenied).

If I'm not mistaking, when opening imgviewer.py you are presented with a list of folders that are in E:\\Images, named like 200806 right? And you select one of these assuming it will then let you select the images inside them, and get the error, right? If so, it means that the problem I found is verified, and the images must be in E:\\Images in order for it to work. Please let me know if what I'm saying is true.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi and welcome to the Python Discussion Board.

I tried it on my N95 with both signed and unsigned Shells and got the same error (KErrAccessDenied).

If I'm not mistaking, when opening imgviewer.py you are presented with a list of folders that are in E:\\Images, named like 200806 right? And you select one of these assuming it will then let you select the images inside them, and get the error, right? If so, it means that the problem I found is verified, and the images must be in E:\\Images in order for it to work. Please let me know if what I'm saying is true.
    The behavior of Python 1.4.3 on my N78 is slightly different. I did not get the "list of folders" that you mentioned.

Here are the steps that I made:
    1. Menu->Apps->Python
    2. Options->Run script
    3. Select e:imgviewer.py
    4. imgviewer runs and displays the following menu options:
    - Camera
    - Screen Shots
    5. When I select any of these options, the following error is returned:

Version 1.4.3 final
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "E:\private\e000b1a5\default.py", line 81, in menu_action
    f()
    File "E:\private\e000b1a5\default.py", line 65, in query_and_exec
    execfile(script_list[index][1].encode('utf-8'), script_namespace.namespace)
    File "e:\python\imgviewer.py", line 144, in ?
    imginfo=Image.inspect(selected_file)
    File "c:\resource\graphics.py", line 84, in inspect
    (size,mode)=_graphics.ImageInspect(unicode(filename))
    SymbianError: [Errno -21] KErrAccessDenied

OK, that is different. Nevertheless, could you try putting an image in E:\\Images (not in subfolders) and see if it works? In my case (and probably everyone's since the code in imgviewer.py is the same) it was trying to open a folder as an image file that was causing the error.

Nokia Developer Expert

OK, that is different. Nevertheless, could you try putting an image in E:\\Images (not in subfolders) and see if it works? In my case (and probably everyone's since the code in imgviewer.py is the same) it was trying to open a folder as an image file that was causing the error.
    Ok, mystery solved :-)
    "Camera" and "Screen Shots" are not menu options but they are subfolders under e:\Images. As you mentioned, when imgviewer.py tried to view "subfolder" it will fail.

I copied some jpg files into the e:\Images and now I can view those from imgviewer.py.

And all this while I was scratching my head thinking that this is a Symbian Platform Security issue :-)

Thanks again for your kind help.

Quote Originally Posted by sardjono View Post
    Ok, mystery solved :-)
    "Camera" and "Screen Shots" are not menu options but they are subfolders under e:\Images. As you mentioned, when imgviewer.py tried to view "subfolder" it will fail.

I copied some jpg files into the e:\Images and now I can view those from imgviewer.py.

And all this while I was scratching my head thinking that this is a Symbian Platform Security issue :-)

Thanks again for your kind help.
    Glad to be of service

Anyway, I've put together a bit of code to allow navigation through folders.
    Code:
    files=[u".."]+map(unicode,os.listdir(imagedir))

index=appuifw.selection_list(files)
    path_segments=imagedir.split("\\")

while(not(files[index].endswith(".jpg"))):
    	if(index==0):
    		imagedir=""
    		for i in range(len(path_segments)-1):
    			imagedir+=path_segments[i]
    			imagedir+="\\"
    		imagedir=imagedir[0:len(imagedir)-1]
    	else:
    		imagedir+="\\"+files[index]
    First, where to put it:
    1. Open imgviewer.py in a text editor and find this code:
    Code:
    if e32.in_emulator():
        imagedir=u'c:\\images'
    else:
        imagedir=u'e:\\images'
    files=map(unicode,os.listdir(imagedir))
    Change that last line to:
    Code:
    2. Just copy the rest after that line

Explanation: While you haven't selected an image you can browse through the folders. The ".." you will see allows you to go up in a directory.

Hi, i am trying to sign the Script Shell, and i did the following:
    1. I specified my IMEI number.
    2. My email address. (I tried both aris@giscom.bn and aris_sy@yahoo.com)
    3. Then i assigned the application 3rd_unsigned_testrange.sis file.

The message i've got was: FAILURE: NETWORK COMMUNICATION ERROR. PLEASE TRY AGAIN.

Can somebody help me regarding this matter? Thanks in advance...