Discussion Board

What are the operating modes of NFC devices?

Hello,

I have read at NFC forum Frecuently Asked Questions the following
    What are the operating modes of NFC devices?
    NFC devices are unique in that they can change their mode of operation to be in reader/writer mode, peer-to-peer mode, or card emulation mode. The different operating modes are based on the ISO/IEC 18092 NFC IP-1 and ISO/IEC 14443 contactless smart card standards.

In reader/writer mode, the NFC device is capable of reading NFC Forum mandated tag types, such as in the scenario of reading an NFC Smartposter tag. The reader/writer mode is on the RF interface compliant to the ISO 14443 and FeliCa schemes.

In Peer-to-Peer mode, two NFC devices can exchange data. For example, you can share Bluetooth or WiFi link set up parameters, and exchange data such as virtual business cards or digital photos. Peer-to-Peer mode is standardized on the ISO/IEC 18092 standard.

In Card Emulation mode, the NFC device itself acts as an NFC tag, appearing to an external reader much the same as a traditional contactless smart card. This enables contactless payments and eticketing, for example.

My question is: Every NFC device has to include the 3 modes of communication? "Card emulation as well?"

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: What are the operating modes of NFC devices?

There is currently no official list of what an NFC device must have, but if I were to take a guess, there's no point whatsoever in mandating the card emulation mode.

What would your NFC-enabled toaster need it for? Or a television?

NFC is more than cell phones :-)

In Reader/Writer mode, NFC device can read and write data to a tag that has been discovered.
    Can a NFC device act as a tag to another NFC device?

Hallo Praneeth,

yes, an NFC device that supports the optional card emulation mode, it can theoretically emulate a tag to another NFC device. How this can be done depends on the capabilities of the reading NFC device (i.e. abstraction level of tag access, supported tag types, ...)

But NFC devices could also communicate directly in peer-to-peer mode, which is supported any NFC Forum compliant NFC device.

br,
    Michael

What is the best NFC protocol to use for a Cell phone exchanging data with a toaster ? Would it be peer to peer ? Is ISO/IEC 18092 the way to go ? Since the toaster will not have many resources, I would like a 'lite' protcol that does not burden the toaster microprocessor. Gus in Denver 99gus
    http://omegadogs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by puppetboy View Post
    What is the best NFC protocol to use for a Cell phone exchanging data with a toaster ? Would it be peer to peer ? Is ISO/IEC 18092 the way to go ? Since the toaster will not have many resources, I would like a 'lite' protcol that does not burden the toaster microprocessor. Gus in Denver 99gus
    I guess it depends on what you want to do with your cellphone and your toaster.
    A NFC device in Reader/Writer mode is "active" and talks with a "passive" device (ie a tag, a contactless smart card or a NFC device in card emulation mode). So the device in Reader/Writer mode generates the electromagnetic field which might be slightly resource consuming.
    In P2P mode, both of the devices are active.