Discussion Board

developing MTM (manufacturer capabilities and dev cert)

Dear All,

In the context of a university class we would like to prototype an application that uses the Messaging Type Module (MTM). Essentially we are interested of adding our functionality to the standard messaging UI, rather than using a stand-alone app.

We are trying to understand what we need in order to develop and test such an application. At this stage we do not envision distributing the application, but we are only interested in testing on few development phones (we understand that in order to distribute such an application we'd need to define a legal agreement with Nokia).

Would it be enough for us to get a publisher id (e.g. from www.trustcenter.de) to be able to test the application?
    If not, what else is required? And how long would it take?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
    Enrico

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: developing MTM (manufacturer capabilities and dev cert)

If you have seen the related example, you should have also seen the following sentence
    Note that Symbian platform security imposes heavy capability requirements for MTMs (up to ALL -TCB capabilities) and thus the application has to be signed using the Manufacturer Approved Developer Certificate.
    If you have not seen the example, you should: www.forum.nokia.com, Documentation/Symbian C++ on the left, Messaging.
    Getting the necessary certificate for Nokia products seems to be automated well on www.symbiansigned.com.

Re: developing MTM (manufacturer capabilities and dev cert)

Thanks for your reply.

I had seen the example and the sentence you quote.
    What I am failing to understand is if it's easy to get a development certificate for the manufacturer capabilities.

In other words: I understand that developing a "distributable" (commercial or free) application with MTM would be very difficult or at least it would require an official approval from Nokia. Is it also hard to get a development certificate for something I do not want to distribute? (essentially to experiment with this type of feature)

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    Getting the necessary certificate for Nokia products seems to be automated well on www.symbiansigned.com.
    From this, it sounds like getting a certificate with Nokia manufacturer capabilities is quite straightforward (i.e. automatic, no long delays for approval) if you have a publisher id (e.g. from www.trustcenter.de).

We do not currently have a publisher id, but we are willing to buy one if that allows us to use MTM.. If anyone went through this process already can you please confirm that buying a publisher id is enough?

Thanks,
    Enrico