Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Nokia Developer Expert

Arrow New SVG Tool Chain

Next week at Java One Nokia will be discussing a new tool chain that provides seamless integration among Adobe Illustrator, Ikivo Animator, Sun Netbeans, and Nokia SDKs. The tool chain allows designers to focus on the UI and graphics, freeing developers to focus on application logic. If you can't make it to Java One, check out this screen cast, then bring your questions to guru Mike Garrett with Ikivo, live from Java One, for a great Talk to the Guru session on Wednesday, May 7, 9:00 AM in San Francisco. Translate into your time zone

Nokia Developer Expert

Live Session with Ikivo

Hi everybody, we're ready to start a live session with Mike Garrett with Ikivo. We're here at JavaOne. Good morning, Mike

Re: Live Session with Ikivo

Good morning everyone. My name is Michael Garrett and I work at Ikivo. I have been working with SVG for many years now and am looking forward to answering any questions that come up.

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: New SVG Tool Chain

Anyone is welcome to post a question, but I'll kick it off with an easy one. What is SVG and why should I care about it?

SVG (Scaleable Vector Graphics) is a 2D graphics format that is described using an XML grammar. It is a royalty free W3C standard and is widely supported on many platforms. The reason you should care is that SVG will give you the ability to have scaleable content that allows you to create very nice looking graphics that will scale to the size you need. SVG also allows you to create pre-defined animations, zoom and pan without a lot of effort.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by IkivoMike View Post
    SVG (Scaleable Vector Graphics) is a 2D graphics format that is described using an XML grammar.
    And I should note that one of the cool aspects of the XML grammar is that any text you incorporate in your SVG distributables can be indexed by search engines.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Hi Kevin and Michael

S60 supports SVG in C++ too. Can the new tool chain be used with those SDKs too? What makes this topic Java specific?
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by ltomuta View Post
    Hi Kevin and Michael

S60 supports SVG in C++ too. Can the new tool chain be used with those SDKs too? What makes this topic Java specific?
    Hi ltomuta,

Yes. Most of this toolchain is relevant to the creation of SVG Graphics. Adobe Illustrator and Ikivo Animator are generic SVG tools that do not have any ties to Java. SVG created in these tools should work on SVG compliant S60 phones.

What makes this topic Java specific, is NetBeans. NetBeans with the mobility pack includes JSR-226. Which allows Java to use SVG Tiny 1.1 in an easy and accessible way.

Nokia Developer Expert

Quote Originally Posted by IkivoMike View Post
    Hi ltomuta,
    What makes this topic Java specific, is NetBeans. NetBeans with the mobility pack includes JSR-226. Which allows Java to use SVG Tiny 1.1 in an easy and accessible way.
    Here's a screen cast that shows the details of how Adobe Illustrator, Ikivo Animator, and NetBeans work together in this new tool chain. That's the detailed story. Mike, can you talk in more general terms about workflow?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_s2f View Post
    ... Mike, can you talk in more general terms about workflow?
    Sure, the basic workflow is as follows:

• Create the static SVG content using Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw or Inkscape.
    • Create any animations that are needed for this content in Ikivo Animator or other SVG animation tool.
    • Add this SVG content to your NetBeans Project using JSR-226
    • Profit!

This workflow helps to keep designers and developers doing what each does best. The designers create the graphics, transitions and animations and the developers create the logic and code neccessary for the application.