Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

platform uid question

Hi,
    i work with nokia n95 8gb and nokia 6110 navigator, and i use in my pkg this string:
    [0x101F7961], 0, 0, 0, {"Series60ProductID"}

is correct for test criteria?
    My application "i hope" to work correctly inside phone symbian s60 3rd that supported gps.

Many thanks
    Silvia

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: platform uid question

Quote Originally Posted by silviuccia View Post
    Hi,
    i work with nokia n95 8gb and nokia 6110 navigator, and i use in my pkg this string:

My application "i hope" to work correctly inside phone symbian s60 3rd that supported gps.

Many thanks
    Silvia
    I am not sure if it has any connection with the GPS specifically, but yes, that is the correct UID which depicts the platform ( Series 60 v3)

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Symbian_Neil View Post
    I am not sure if it has any connection with the GPS specifically, but yes, that is the correct UID which depicts the platform ( Series 60 v3)
    thanks
    Silvia

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by silviuccia View Post
    Hi,

Many thanks
    Silvia
    No. This is not the correct product id. As you stated, your devices are N95 8gb and 6110, which are based on S60 3rd edition FP1. The correct product id is "0x102032BE". This may fail your application in test house if you use wrong Product Id for selected device to be tested on.

Kiran.
    Nokia Developer Wiki Moderation team

http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...fication_codes

Then again, all S60 3rd Edition [FP1|FP2] phones support GPS although in some cases it is internal while on most of the phones it has to be an external receiver. Whether the GPS receiver is external or internal it has however no impact on application's behaviour so yes, at least in theory, your application can be expected to run correctly on all S60 3rd Edition phones.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Basic GPS Location Using the Symbian LBS API
    so it is require only LOCATION capability. I think nothing do with Product ID.
    Ram
    India

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kiran10182 View Post
    No. This is not the correct product id. As you stated, your devices are N95 8gb and 6110, which are based on S60 3rd edition FP1. The correct product id is "0x102032BE". This may fail your application in test house if you use wrong Product Id for selected device to be tested on.

Kiran.

In my case i want to mention target devices From S60 3rd Ed, FP1 , FP2 for all this 3 then what Platform UID need to mention in .PKG & How?

Always Thankfull to all reply!!
    uday.neo@gmail.com

The lowest one, without FP.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by uday.neo View Post
    In my case i want to mention target devices From S60 3rd Ed, FP1 , FP2 for all this 3 then what Platform UID need to mention in .PKG & How?

Always Thankfull to all reply!!
    uday.neo@gmail.com
    Use platform UID [0x101F7961] S60 3rd Edition. Also keep in mind that, if you mention platform UID [0x101F7961] than test house will test your app in any device of third edition.

Regular Contributor

Thanks alot Both of you!!

Regular Contributor

Question Re: platform uid question

Quote Originally Posted by savaj View Post
    Use platform UID [0x101F7961] S60 3rd Edition. Also keep in mind that, if you mention platform UID [0x101F7961] than test house will test your app in any device of third edition.
    Is it ok if my Code Compiled with S60 3rd Ed FP1& I use platform UID [0x101F7961] & my application work on all (Initial release, Fp1 , FP2) same ,
    Except some FP1 specific API functionalty not supported on S60 3rd Ed Initial release Devices like Active Profile Check (on N73 S60 3r Ed-not support ) ??? but on upper version supported.

Nokia Developer Champion

Is it ok if my Code Compiled with S60 3rd Ed FP1& I use platform UID [0x101F7961] & my application work on all (Initial release, Fp1 , FP2) same ,
    Except some FP1 specific API functionalty not supported on S60 3rd Ed Initial release Devices like Active Profile Check (on N73 S60 3r Ed-not support ) ??? but on upper version supported.
    No. In such a situation you cannot use generic S60 3rd edition platform UID in your .pkg file.

One solution would be to use generic S60 3rd edition platform UID and exclude unsupported devices in the .pkg file using If(MACHINEID=....) routines.

Regular Contributor

Thanks ,

But if i use S60 3rd Ed FP1 Platform UID[0x102032BE] & my application Work same on All FP1 & FP2 device. & I Express sign my application. Then that express signed .sis is it installable on FP1 & FP2 devices ; OR I have to Express sign my FP2 .sis differently.???

Nokia Developer Champion

Thanks ,

But if i use S60 3rd Ed FP1 Platform UID[0x102032BE] & my application Work same on All FP1 & FP2 device. & I Express sign my application. Then that express signed .sis is it installable on FP1 & FP2 devices ; OR I have to Express sign my FP2 .sis differently.???
    However it will install without any problem in S60 3rd FP1 devices, it will display "Application may not be compatible to the device, do you want to continue?" or something similar message on S60 3rd Edition(Initial) and S60 3rd FP2 devices at the time of installation. You can try that out at your end now.

The answer to your original question lies on the above fact whether you want to have two different .Sis files for different S60 versions or just one with installation warning. You can also think about my previous post where I am suggesting to exclude unsupported devices in the .pkg file.

Nokia Developer Champion