Discussion Board

Testers for free OCR program wanted

I have written a J2ME program that will take a photo, identify any characters and words in it, and translate those words into another language. The code runs happily on my Nokia N70, however I have not tested the program on any other phone. Would anyone out there like to try the program on their phone and report back whether it works or not, and what problems they encountered?

Who am I? Just some programmer who started this as a hobby. I have been working on character recognition off and on for the past few years. I reckon the program is now stable and accurate enough that it is time to try it on other phones. The program is totally free to anyone that wants to use it.

Specifically the things I want to find out are:

• What phones does the program run on? How much RAM does the phone have? What is the resolution of the phone's camera?
    • Does the program correctly identify characters? The translation word lists may not have every word in them, but does the program successfully identify most or all the characters in the photos you take?
    • How fast does the midlet process a picture? Seconds? Minutes? Days? On my Nokia N70 it usually takes between 30 seconds and a minute to process a photo.
    • Do all the screens display correctly? Do the main menu and the help screens display their images and text correctly without anything disappearing off the side of the screen?

If you are interested please goto http://www.ratfreedesserts.com/ and download the program.

Super Contributor

Re: Testers for free OCR program wanted

I tested it on an N95 and it worked, though not very well:

1.What phones does the program run on? How much RAM does the phone have? What is the resolution of the phone's camera?
    This information is on the phone's page under the link I provided

2.Does the program correctly identify characters? The translation word lists may not have every word in them, but does the program successfully identify most or all the characters in the photos you take?
    It successfully identifies most of the characters. I haven't had mix-ups, but it sometimes displays characters where there are none and sometimes doesn't recognise characters (I've noticed "C" and "G" are problematic).

3.How fast does the midlet process a picture? Seconds? Minutes? Days? On my Nokia N70 it usually takes between 30 seconds and a minute to process a photo.
    5-12 seconds.

4.Do all the screens display correctly? Do the main menu and the help screens display their images and text correctly without anything disappearing off the side of the screen?
    Menus and screens display correctly in my case

Two other things:
    1)The application uses a lot of RAM (about 16MB). If possible, try to address that ASAP
    2)I got the "Terminal error":
    Terminal error

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
    DA; DB; DC; DD; DE; DF; DG; DH; DI; DK; DL; DM; DN; Dtpr1; Dtpactp3; Dtpr2; D1; D2; D3; D4;
    EDIT: A new "terminal error":
    java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
    DX; DY; DX; DY; DX; DY; DX; DY; DX; DY; DX; DY; DX; DY; Dtpr1; Dtpactp3; Dtpr2; D1; D2; D3;
    Hope that helps
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2008-05-05 at 17:58.

Re: Testers for free OCR program wanted

hi, actually its the subject of my Bachelor progect, I realy became happy when I read this post here, but the link appears to be broken.

is there any ways for me to reach this code?

thnx

Unhappy Re: Testers for free OCR program wanted

perhaps since i'm iranian i cant see usefull sites , becouse of political prohibition, it's not fairly

im seeking but i cant find