Discussion Board

Where are the preferences for widgets stored?

I need to know if preferences (PreferenceForKey) are stored in some file and if is it text plain.
    Thanks

Regular Contributor

Re: Where are the preferences for widgets stored?

Quote Originally Posted by eartied1 View Post
    I need to know if preferences (PreferenceForKey) are stored in some file and if is it text plain.
    Well everything on a computer (and a phone is just a computer) that is persistently stored is fundamentally stored in a file so that is true for widget preferences too. Even if on a higher level you talk about storing things in a "database" or "registry" etc. those are just files on a lower level.

To help answering your root concern may I ask what the interest is? That is, are you interested in whether someone with malicious intent could get to the data stored in the preferences? Or are you interested in accessing the preferences from some other application?

Peppe

I don't want someone can access to my preferences with malicious intentions (I need to save some sensitive parameters), so I need to know where is the file to protect data or to search another way to to save that parameters.

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by eartied1 View Post
    I don't want someone can access to my preferences with malicious intentions (I need to save some sensitive parameters), so I need to know where is the file to protect data or to search another way to to save that parameters.
    There is no other way to read/write data locally from a widget.

And even if there was some way, you wouldn't be able to encrypt and decrypt such data without having the encryption & decryption code and key in the widget, revealing to anyone who views the widget source code how the encryption and decryption is done and what the key is.

Peppe