Discussion Board

Cool Light sensor reading from PyS60

Hi there,

I'm developing a Domotics Program for my mobile phone, using X-10 protocol, and I'd want to read the light sensor on my Nokia E65 with PyS60. Is that possible? How?

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Light sensor reading from PyS60

Hi Xurde and welcome to the Python Discussion Board.

As far as I know, it's currently impossible. The documentation doesn't say anything about it, and a search returned this thread where it is said that it's impossible.

If you have experience in writing C++ applications, maybe you could write a module for PyS60 that does this.

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Xurde View Post
    Hi there,

I'm developing a Domotics Program for my mobile phone, using X-10 protocol, and I'd want to read the light sensor on my Nokia E65 with PyS60. Is that possible? How?

Thanks!
    hi Xurde
    your question seems interesting and you seems to be a electronic aspirant. Bogdan has correctly told that it is impossible but impossible itself spells i m possible. so can you explain in detail what sort of light sensor you are using or can you explain your project in bit detail.
    waiting for your feedback

Cool Re: Light sensor reading from PyS60

Hi Gaba,

I`ll explain my project. I guess you know or at least you have heard about X10 protocol for Domotics-Home Automation. Sendind electrical pulses throgh the Existing electrical wires you can control devices pluged into a socket anyware in your house, garden, etc. Control means on/off dim/bright, and some other extended functions.

You can send signals from specific modules or, in the simplest/cheapest way from your computer, using a PC-X10 interface (I'm using the CM11). So, I´ve decided to make my own program (Python) to control the interface, and go farther developing a program (PyS60) for mobile wich lets you send commands to the computer via BlueTooth: switch on A1 (the receptor for the coffee machine, switch off A5 (the receptor for the garden lights), etc. The program in the computer receives this commands and sends the proper signal to the interface.

I`ve already got it working. I even connect the main door (it opens electrically, pushing a button) so I can open it now from my Nokia E65.

Now, the point: light sensor. Since you can dim/bright the lights, I've thought it´d be nice doing it depending on the light existing in the place you are, using the nokia light sensor for that. When it gets dark, the sensor detects it and sends a command to put the lights more bright. At this point I found a problem: How does the mobile know in wich room you are? There is no (easy) way, just telling "him".

That´s all. Whoever who wants to participate in some way in this project, or wants to know more, just let me know.

Super Contributor

Maybe you could use camera as light sensor? Not too user friendly, though..

Just an idea,

--jouni

Yeah, the camera.... I think I could check the light with the camera... now you´ve said it, I remember I had read something about some people using the webcam as a light sensor.

Great Jon. I'll try and tell you guys.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Xurde View Post
    I think I could check the light with the camera... now you´ve said it, I remember I had read something about some people using the webcam as a light sensor.
    A few notes:

• camera.take_photo() continuously consumes a lot of energy
    • camera.start_finder() continuously consumes a lot of energy
    • camera.start_finder() can use only the 1st camera, so you probably can't use front camera at all (usually the 2nd camera?)