Discussion Board

Direct communication between Nokia 6131 NFC and Omnikey 5321 reader

Hi there!
    I need to build a Java application that is able to communicate directly with Nokia 6131 NFC. In the past, I built another application which write in Nokia Internal Mifare and a MIDlet that read and write data in Mifare. In other words, I used Nokia 6131 NFC internal Mifare as a middleman between reader (Omnikey 5321) and phone.
    Now, I wouldn’t like to do the same. I’m trying to communicate directly my Nokia with the reader, but I don’t know how to do that. Obviously, I will have to transmit a data stream (more than the capacity of a simple Mifare Card), maybe several Kb.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheers, Rafa.

Re: Direct communication between Nokia 6131 NFC and Omnikey 5321 reader

Dear i12vamor,

the OK Reader can only read tags. Thus the phone has to act as a transponder. If you have more information to transfer than stored in a Mifare Memory, you could also use a JC Applet to more flexible.

But the even more intiutive methode would be using the NFC peer-2-peer Mode. Acutally the OK Reader does not (yet) support P2P, but you could try the Arygon Model for establishing a peer-2-peer connection between the nokia and the reader.

Cheers, Gerald

Dear Gerald,

Thank you for the answer, you seem to know about the issue. According with you say, I’m afraid I haven’t lot of possibilities with Omnikey reader. Supposing I buy the Arygon reader, how could I establish a P2P connection between the Nokia and the reader?

In other project I used the smartcardio package, because I connected the Omnikey reader with the internal Mifare, but in this case I think I couldn’t use it. What Java package would I need to do the P2P connection?

Thanks again.

Cheers, Rafa.

Hi,

* Reagrading Arygon Reader & Nokia 6131) I don't have not tried yet to establish a peer-2-peer communcation with these two. Might work, might not work. You have to try.

* The OK reader actually is able to read Mifare-Tags, but the smartcardio package only abstracts the PC/SC features and not additional propriatary features like Mifare. You could have to use the smarcard resource Manager and use the IOControl Method to send the Mifare-COmmands to the reader. The Java Lib is not capable of doing this.

* The Peer-2-Peer Connection will only work with an addtionall P2P/NFC Device (eg. like the arygon reader). The Arygon reader is actually represented by a simple VCOM-Interface. Thus you have to send the RAW commands to the reader in order to establish a connection. java.comm would be usefull in this case, but there is no NFC package for java yet. If you are dealing with win32, you might look into NXP's FRI as well.

cheers, Gerald

Regular Contributor

* The Peer-2-Peer Connection will only work with an addtionall P2P/NFC Device (eg. like the arygon reader). The Arygon reader is actually represented by a simple VCOM-Interface. Thus you have to send the RAW commands to the reader in order to establish a connection. java.comm would be usefull in this case, but there is no NFC package for java yet. If you are dealing with win32, you might look into NXP's FRI as well.
    SO if i implement SerialPort instance in my Java app I can send through it commands directly to reader and set-up a p2p communication?
    i can't find nothing about NXP's FRI you mentioned, could you provide a link?

Thankx, Andrea

If you want to use P2P, you have to switch to a NFC-P2P compatible Reader. The OmniKey reader is not P2P compatiable, as it is only a ISO14443 Reader.

Cheers, Gerald

Regular Contributor

Yes, i know, i've bought Arygon ADRA..
    With that one :
    if i implement SerialPort instance in my Java app I can send through it commands directly to reader and set-up a p2p communication?
    and again, could you provide a link to get info about NXP'FRI you were talking about?
    Thanks again

Arygon) Yes that one. But I have not tried it myself.

FRI) The FRI is only available form NXP directly. Jerome Pele presented Information on that at the WIMA in Monaco.

Cheers, Geri-m

Question Re: Direct communication between Nokia 6131 NFC and Omnikey 5321 reader

Hi!

I am currently searching for a reader (any company) that is implementing the P2P mode. It should be able to deal with a P2P communication with a 6131.

Do you know one? (product or advanced prototype)

arygon - not sure (but most advanced??)
    pn531 - ???
    gemalto - ???
    inside - ???
    ok reader - NO

Quote Originally Posted by colombeh View Post
    Hi!

I am currently searching for a reader (any company) that is implementing the P2P mode. It should be able to deal with a P2P communication with a 6131.

Do you know one? (product or advanced prototype)

arygon - not sure (but most advanced??)
    pn531 - ???
    gemalto - ???
    inside - ???
    ok reader - NO
    Did you ever find a reader that supported p2p communication?

Hi,

I need to access SE of Nokia 6131 NFC phone for loading Java Card Applets. I found that Omnikey 5321 Cardman can be used for this purpose. But there is five variants of Omnikey 5321 Cardman -

OMNIKEY 5321 USB
    OMNIKEY 5321 CLi USB
    OMNIKEY® 5321 CL USB Reader
    OMNIKEY® 5321 CR USB Reader
    OMNIKEY® 5321 CL SAM USB Reader

Can you please suggest which one will be suitable for this purpose?