Discussion Board

Super Contributor

pys60, irda and remote control

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to program the VCR with an SMS?

It would be possible, if it was possible to access IRDA port uisng Python: remote control "emulators" for nokia actually do exist, so it IS feasible... it's just a matter of doing it!

But maybe, rather than messing with IRDA codes, code capturing, code searching, protocol implementations, there could be another way: py60 can emulate keypress! So, just intsll IRREMOTE on your phone, write a program which uses irrmote upon receiving SMS... and upload the program so I can download it!

I do not have an irda-enabled phone... but I'd buy one (for just 50$) right now if such a program existed!

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: pys60, irda and remote control

Hi,

Well AFAIK, there are no exisiting modules which gives us ability to use the IRDA with Python for S60. You could probaly want to work on a native extension for that,

Best Regards,
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Nokia Developer Champion

Quote Originally Posted by cassioli View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice to be able to program the VCR with an SMS?

It would be possible, if it was possible to access IRDA port uisng Python: remote control "emulators" for nokia actually do exist, so it IS feasible... it's just a matter of doing it!

But maybe, rather than messing with IRDA codes, code capturing, code searching, protocol implementations, there could be another way: py60 can emulate keypress! So, just intsll IRREMOTE on your phone, write a program which uses irrmote upon receiving SMS... and upload the program so I can download it!

I do not have an irda-enabled phone... but I'd buy one (for just 50$) right now if such a program existed!
    hi cassioli
    your idea is really interesting and seems to be applicative but as croozeus has already mentioned that there is no extension module available for that but if you are really interested you can go for a native extension.
    waiting for your reply
    Last edited by gaba88; 2008-08-09 at 18:16.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by gaba88 View Post
    hi cassioli
    your idea is really interesting and semms to be applicative but as croozeus has already mentioned that there is no extension module available for that but if you are really interested you can go for a native extension.
    waiting for your reply
    the reason for which I was looking for python module is of course that I am no able to code in C++.

But I examined the situation, and I found out that developing such a program from scratch is useless: Total IR Remote already exists... although I am yet able to properly understand how to use it. So, why should I reinvent the wheel? I could just write a python program which interfaces to IR Remote, by emulating needed keypresses to activate the recorder!

I'd like to do some tests, but I can't if my phone can't actually control my devices, so I need some help: does anybody know where to find codecs for Italian SKY decoder and for LG DVD recorder rh 255?
    I'm using a 6600, I found thousands of "possible candidates" for codecs (.ir files, .txt files, .ccf files ....), but can't figure out how to get them working with Total IR Remote 2.0 for 2nd edition.

honestly i would love to see a working irda api/builtin support in python for S60. This is really a pitty that nobody got it working yet, would open so many new possibilites.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by x29a View Post
    honestly i would love to see a working irda api/builtin support in python for S60. This is really a pitty that nobody got it working yet, would open so many new possibilites.
    I found a method to bypass irda handling lack:
    http://jumpjack.wordpress.com/2008/0...emote-control/

If I can control a device, maybe I can also communicate with another phone?
    But I need to find out if I can build the needed WAV files directly on the phone in python, of course I can't create them with PC if I want to use them for real time communications!

And I have also to find out if the same method I use with PC to receive IR is applicable to cellphone.