Discussion Board

E51 not supporting voip on Gprs or 3G internet

My Nokia e51 working well on SIP via Wlan , but its not working with gprs , on Gprs Sip register perfectly but when i try to call via internet call ERROR No Wlan service available for internet call .i also tried SIP VoIP Settings application same issue ,

I think Internet Call application not support Gprs , any internet call setting application by which we can set gprs or 3g for internet call

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: E51 not supporting voip on Gprs or 3G internet

Welcome to the Forum Nokia Develore discussion board, as this DiBo concentrates on development related issues, you might find more end-user problems related Dibo better suited for your query. Here's link for one: http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/

Exact Same problem overhere I have tested the below models on the below networks here is the out come (configured the parameter enable voip calls over wbcdma as well)
    e65 - wlan registers ok calls ok - gprs registers ok calls ok
    e76 - wlan registers ok calls ok - gprs registers ok calls fail
    e71 - wlan registers ok calls ok - gprs registers ok calls fail
    n81 - wlan registers ok calls ok - 3g registers ok calls ok
    e95 - wlan registers ok calls ok - gprs registers ok calls fail
    This is really wierd

Anyone solutions

Quote Originally Posted by nedim.mitrani View Post
    Exact Same problem overhere I have tested the below models on the below networks here is the out come (configured the parameter enable voip calls over wbcdma as well)
    e65 - wlan registers ok calls ok - gprs registers ok calls ok
    e76 - wlan registers ok calls ok - gprs registers ok calls fail
    e71 - wlan registers ok calls ok - gprs registers ok calls fail
    n81 - wlan registers ok calls ok - 3g registers ok calls ok
    e95 - wlan registers ok calls ok - gprs registers ok calls fail
    This is really wierd

Anyone solutions
    Your N81 registers ok calls ok. Why? Because of 3g connection. SIP requires higher upstream bandwidth and gprs is not suitable for making or receiving sip calls. You can try fring application which has sip protocol and allowes many different sip providers. Also that fring works with low bandwidth codecs but gprs will still be little short.
    You can experiment by deleting G711 codecs from list or allow just G729 only and see if it works.

Thanks for your response, dial100

However there is one device "an e65" as I mentioned before that does register at gprs and able to make calls using sip and this device also shows that small phone icon over the world which is an indicator of Internnet calls. Failing devices say that they are registered in the sip menu however the do not show this small icon.

I also opened ethereal to capture any packets from the failing phones.
    1- Devices attempt to register over gprs.
    2- 401 Unauthorized from server
    3- Devices attempt to register over gprs digest.
    4- 200 OK REGISTERED
    5- devices start sending CRLF to keep the connection alive

When i try to make a call to one of those nokia phones
    1- I send the invite
    2- device responds 100 trying
    3- device responds with a 487 busy

I am getting lost is this a bug?

Note
    (all devices have same codec setup and codec order same sip, voip, and nat settings this is a testing environment for preparation for creating the sisx plugin)

Have you tried this or thisor this?

Those third party programs (such as fring) are not actually sip they have their propriatery protocol to their servers.
    They store your credidentials such as sip username password etc.
    By doing so users are handing their call credits and so on to an unknown third party company.
    those programs register their servers to a sip registrar and initiate calls from their servers.
    The rtp stream needs to go over an external rtp relay where the realy as well converts codecs from their native codec to one of those standard codecs
    Disadvantages are poor voice quality due too compress decompress twice, packet loss, and major latency. Unless this server is trusted you are handing your credits to someone unknown who is in another country (fring servers are in israel).
    I am trying to resolve this issue with the embeded platform.
    It is really nice to be able to utilize internal address book, and other embeded native goodies. User does not need to adapt to a different interface.
    Any other inputs for this problem?

Hey Nedim,

Have you made any progress on this issue? Any responses from Nokia or somebody else? I am quite interested in getting this to work and may be able to help in some way if you have pointers.

Anton
    a ' n ' t ' o ' n ' . ' s ' b ' a ' @ ' g ' m ' a ' i ' l ' . ' c ' o ' m

Quote Originally Posted by nedim.mitrani View Post
    Those third party programs (such as fring) are not actually sip they have their propriatery protocol to their servers.
    They store your credidentials such as sip username password etc.
    By doing so users are handing their call credits and so on to an unknown third party company.
    those programs register their servers to a sip registrar and initiate calls from their servers.
    The rtp stream needs to go over an external rtp relay where the realy as well converts codecs from their native codec to one of those standard codecs
    Disadvantages are poor voice quality due too compress decompress twice, packet loss, and major latency. Unless this server is trusted you are handing your credits to someone unknown who is in another country (fring servers are in israel).
    I am trying to resolve this issue with the embeded platform.
    It is really nice to be able to utilize internal address book, and other embeded native goodies. User does not need to adapt to a different interface.
    Any other inputs for this problem?

I don't know whether the poster is still looking for reply. But anyway, for the sake of people searching for answers, I'll put my finding here.

It is true that 3g or gprs connection does not allow us to actually call, whereas wlan connection allows - with the same setting.
    But it is also true that both connections actually work with a different sip setting.

ie. just remove the proxy settings and it works even faster.

Only registrar settings is needed for sip internet calls for most providers. Gizmo probably need both and it works even thru 3g with proxy settings.

Hope this helps