Discussion Board

Problems signing jar

Hello everyone:

I have some questions regarding certificates/signing jar files:

- I have created this j2me application that access some local data and everytime I try to access the data, I get a warning message, asking me to confirm. So I'm trying to bypass this by signing the application, I'm using netbeans, and when I try the test certificate and run it on the emulator, the warning is still there, any ideas on how to disable this warning on the emulator?

- As for the phone, when I install the jar on the phone with the test certificate, I get an error saying invalid certificate. Where can I buy a certificate that is guarantee to work?

- Also, whenever I try to access the Documents folder on the phone, I get an access denied exception, is there any way to access this folder?

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Re: Problems signing jar

Quote Originally Posted by goncode View Post
    Hello everyone:

I have some questions regarding certificates/signing jar files:

- I have created this j2me application that access some local data and everytime I try to access the data, I get a warning message, asking me to confirm. So I'm trying to bypass this by signing the application, I'm using netbeans, and when I try the test certificate and run it on the emulator, the warning is still there, any ideas on how to disable this warning on the emulator?

- As for the phone, when I install the jar on the phone with the test certificate, I get an error saying invalid certificate. Where can I buy a certificate that is guarantee to work?

- Also, whenever I try to access the Documents folder on the phone, I get an access denied exception, is there any way to access this folder?

Thanks.

hi

As far as i know any application which has to be installed on the phone which access any kind of phone data needs to have a certificate which is recognized by the phone.... which you can know from the Certificate manager in your phone... if you are using nokia phone or sony erric or any other except motorola Certificates from Thawte, verisign will do.... hope this solves your problem

hi,
    for emulator purpose and for removing the "warning" screen go to start->programs->wtk->preferences->security-> set your domain to manufacture or maximum.

now for the phone the certificate you signed with netbeans is a test certificate it isnt recognized or valid for use on phones (unless you install it as a user certificate) but the best thing to do is get a verisign certificate and use that.

BR

I got the verisign certificate and I was able to sign my application fine, however when installing the app on the phone, i still get the warning message whenever I try to read data from the phone. The only way I can turn it off if i manually go on the application settings and manually change it.

Is there any way to avoid this? that is, just sign the application and have not have any warning alerts when reading data.

Thanks.

no, the setting of this option must be manualy.
    signing the midlet just gives the user to choose this option otherwise it wouldnt be available.