Discussion Board

Slow Java on N95 8Gb

Hello

I've just bought a new N95 8Gb. I've seen that the Java implementation is very slow. I've tried lots of Gameloft games and they are unplayable most of time. After entering data usually, the game locks and continues after a while. With monopoly game is the same. On my old N70, all the Java games were faster.

I'm using latest firmware v15.

What could be the problem?

Thank you.

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Slow Java on N95 8Gb

Have you already tried with an hard reset of your phone? This could make sense if there is some app/setting slowing done the whole phone (so, not only Java apps)... Anyway, it could be worth a try

Pit

Super Contributor

And... the latest firmware (at least for non-operator-customized phones) for the N95 8GB is v20 (not v15).

My product code of my N95 8Gb is 0556220

The message I get from Nokia update is the following:
    Latest available software for Nokia N95 8GB, product code 0556220
    Version: 15.0.015

And that version is the same as in my phone.

My phone is totally new, no other external programs installed. Does anybody has the same problem as me with N95 8Gb?

Thank you.

Super Contributor

Starting of the Java applications on S60 devices in general takes a little longer time than opening a native application. There should be no major differences between N70 and N95 in this regard. And based on your description I do not think this is the problem in here.

You say that the game locks for a while after entering the data? Seems like there are some problematic lines of code in the app (rather than slowness of the Java implementation). Could be some threading issue. Or could be something with network connectivity. Do you happen to know if the MIDlet is sending some data to the network when the app freezes?

In any case you should send this feedback to Gameloft...

Hartti

It is strange. The slow Java happens also on other games, not only on Gameloft (for example, Glu Mobile Monopoly). I've seen that after restarting the phone, Monopoly is a bit faster, but it also sticks sometimes. I don't have any application loading except Nokia ones (ngage, etc).

About the firmware, why I don not have an update to v20? My mobile is not locked to any mobile company, it was bought independently.

Thanks.

So any updates or news about this issue?
    I too can confirm that what has been brought up is definately true.
    A very good example of this is the mobile gmail app.(You can go have try it out. No need to have an account..just try to run it and you'll see what I mean)
    It takes a very long time to load up. It's definately not normal. It doesn't show up for more than 10 seconds after I clicked to open it. Java games are also unusually slow. They not only load slow, but run slow too. A same java game will run at perfect speed on my Sony Ericsson phone, but will lag considerbly on my N95 8GB.
    I really don't see the reason why as my N95 8gb is much more powerful. ( I have the SE z610 )
    These days, I try to avoid java apps altogheter but there are a few apps that are java exclusive that we just need to have running properly.

And yes, I do have the latest firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by wingk1314 View Post
    So any updates or news about this issue?
    I too can confirm that what has been brought up is definately true.
    A very good example of this is the mobile gmail app.(You can go have try it out. No need to have an account..just try to run it and you'll see what I mean)
    It takes a very long time to load up. It's definately not normal. It doesn't show up for more than 10 seconds after I clicked to open it. Java games are also unusually slow. They not only load slow, but run slow too. A same java game will run at perfect speed on my Sony Ericsson phone, but will lag considerbly on my N95 8GB.
    I really don't see the reason why as my N95 8gb is much more powerful. ( I have the SE z610 )
    These days, I try to avoid java apps altogheter but there are a few apps that are java exclusive that we just need to have running properly.

And yes, I do have the latest firmware.
    I have noticed that the Java apps are fast enough if installed in phone's internal memory (not massive memory). This could happen due to slow acess to the big partition of 8 Gb, because it is a FAT32 and this is much more CPU consuming than acessing to 128Mb internal memory. Maybe some Java apps require to access to many different files in a short time period and that slows down the performance of the Java app if those files are on the 8Gb partition.

So I think the only solution is to install all the Java apps in the phone's memory.

Nokia, can you improve the access to 8Gb memory? Even when it is recently formatted, it is much slower than 128 Mb internal memory. One solution could be to partition the memory in two 4Gb spaces, but this could be done only if Nokia updates internal's firmware.

Best regards.
    Last edited by ikerrgam; 2008-07-18 at 19:11.

edit solution was only temporarily
    Last edited by KrsOne; 2011-10-29 at 09:29.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hello KrsOne,

and welcome to Nokia Developer Discussion Boards!

Could you elaborate your comment which you have contributed to this discussion thread?

Regards,
    r2j7
    [URL="http://library.forum.nokia.com/java"][B] >>> Java Developer's Library <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://www.developer.nokia.com/Resources/Support/Technical_support.xhtml"] [B]>>> Technical Support for Java ME development <<<[/B][/URL]
    [URL="https://publish.ovi.com/info/"][B]>>> Nokia Publish: reach millions of Nokia users worldwide through Nokia Store <<<[/B][/URL]