Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular Contributor

[Announce] LogMan logging tool

http://code.google.com/p/logman-for-symbian/

LogMan is a logging service running on Symbian phone intended for debugging tasks. The service allows one to send messages through a USB serial connection to PC. Other serial connection methods should work also, but are not supported. Infrared(IrComm), for example. On Symbian simulator, the messages are also logged to %TEMP%\epocwind.out by using RDebug logger.

The software consists of client and server software. Python(PyS60) client module(pylogman) is included with Python application for managing the service. There is also a GUI application implemented in C++ for managing the service.

The management of serial connection is handled in separate service process to simplify the client and to avoid problems in the debugged software caused by serial connection problems. The use of client should be as painless as possible. Use of separate process also allows one to debug multiple applications simultaneously without reserving the serial port for single application.

I hope you find it as useful as I do :). Feedback is also welcome.

Super Contributor

Re: [Announce] LogMan logging tool

hi,

nice utility..

Regards,
    Mateen Maldar
    "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve"

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: [Announce] LogMan logging tool

Go for it GameDude!
    Mikko Ohtamaa

http://mfabrik.com
    http://blog.mfabrik.com

Regular Contributor

Got bored and added initial socket support. To get log through WLAN, start the server's socket listener with LogManGui and connect to port 23 using PyTTY. Send test message with LogManGui or type 'list'. There is a shell( not finished ) but at least file listing, internal file copying, process launching and process listing are working. The shell works with both USB and WLAN connection.

The code is in branches/shell.

And sorry, no prebuilt binaries. SCons and scons-for-symbian required to build. Of course you can fix the mmps. I'll add mmp export to s4s when I get bored enough so they will be updated automatically.

Nokia Developer Expert

sounds a very useful tools.thanks,GameDude.

Regular Contributor

Thumbs up Re: [Announce] LogMan logging tool

Added unsigned installer package with WLAN and shell to downloads.

Added 'get' shell command to display file contents. Now LogMan can be used to view regular text logs too.

'get' takes 1 optional parameter: start position. If value is negative, the position is calculated from the end of the file, so you can check just the latest data. With a script, it is also possible to create tail-like tool, which constantly queries the newest data by using the latest position. The file is opened in EFileShareReadersOrWriters mode.

Get the last 200 characters from mylog.txt:
    get c:\logs\mylog.txt -200

Nokia Developer Moderator

It would be interesting to know what are the advantages of using this tool when compared with the remote logging tool provided by the SDK.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

The initial reason why I made LogMan, was that I couldn't get the SDK's logging tool to work(Recmt). The service simply crashed. Because they don't provide the sources, I couldn't fix it. If there is something wrong with LogMan, anybody can fix it. It's a tool, which I think should be OPEN if there is any will to promote the platform.

REcmt requires you to use the diagnostic pane. With LogMan, I can use a simple serial connection, and now WLAN, and use PuTTY or Python to read the output on PC. It gives a lot more freedom. I'm also planning to add file logging support so you can switch between remote and file logging without changing anything from your own application because the logging itself is centrally managed. File logging is still needed if there is a rare bug and it may take a long time to reproduce.

There is also a useful header with macros for C++ ( logmanutils.h ) so you don't have to make your own macros every time to be able to disable the logging easily. The macros log the source and linenumber for you and support text formatting.

And does REcmt come with PyS60 bindings? LogMan does. :) It is very helpful to see the same logging output from Python code and C++ extension coming to the same place in real-time.

REcmt is S60 only. I haven't tried LogMan on UIQ but all except the gui application should work. The Python binding gives all the functionality so it could be controlled with PyUIQ too.

You can see the log on Linux. What about Recmt? And because of the shell, it is not just a logging tool anymore. Well, I could just keep going on like this... :)
    Last edited by GameDude; 2008-10-28 at 20:42.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Well, now we know :)
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Quote Originally Posted by GameDude View Post
    The initial reason why I made LogMan, was that I couldn't get the SDK's logging tool to work(Recmt). The service simply crashed. Because they don't provide the sources, I couldn't fix it. If there is something wrong with LogMan, anybody can fix it. It's a tool, which I think should be OPEN if there is any will to promote the platform.

REcmt requires you to use the diagnostic pane. With LogMan, I can use a simple serial connection, and now WLAN, and use PuTTY or Python to read the output on PC. It gives a lot more freedom. I'm also planning to add file logging support so you can switch between remote and file logging without changing anything from your own application because the logging itself is centrally managed. File logging is still needed if there is a rare bug and it may take a long time to reproduce.

There is also a useful header with macros for C++ ( logmanutils.h ) so you don't have to make your own macros every time to be able to disable the logging easily. The macros log the source and linenumber for you and support text formatting.

And does REcmt come with PyS60 bindings? LogMan does. :) It is very helpful to see the same logging output from Python code and C++ extension coming to the same place in real-time.

REcmt is S60 only. I haven't tried LogMan on UIQ but all except the gui application should work. The Python binding gives all the functionality so it could be controlled with PyUIQ too.

You can see the log on Linux. What about Recmt? And because of the shell, it is not just a logging tool anymore. Well, I could just keep going on like this... :)
    Hello all,

I have downloaded the LogMan sis file from logman-home:
    http://code.google.com/p/logman-for-symbian/
    I tried to use it by following steps:
    1.connect the phone with PC using PC Suite. After connect succesully, I can see the virtual serial COM port in device manager, which is COM10.
    2.open LogManGUI in phone, set serial port nunber, start service, and connected to PC succesfully.
    3.open HyperTerminal in PC, select COM10, change rate to 115200, press Test Message Menu in LogManGUI. I can see xxx bytes sent from LogManGUI tool, but I can not see any logs printed out in HyperTerminal .

AnyBody can help me on this?
    How to print log in HyperTerminal ?

My email is he-power@hotmail.com.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by hepower; 2010-04-29 at 04:26. Reason: leave a email

Regular Contributor

What port you set on the device? The default works for me. I haven't been working on Symbian for a while so I'm not sure if things still work as they used to. Try the WLAN logging if possible.
    Last edited by GameDude; 2010-04-29 at 15:29.

What port you set on the device? The default works for me. I haven't been working on Symbian for a while so I'm not sure if things still work as they used to. Try the WLAN logging if possible.
    hello, GameDude,

Thanks for your reply!
    I can see log in HyperTerminal now, It is because I choose another COM port.But I have another question please:
    I follow the guide try to add some logs in my apps.
    Code:
    #include "LogMan.h" //RLogMan 
    RLogMan::Log(_L("Hello world"));
    Code:
    #include "LogMan.h" //RLogMan 
    // Store this as a member of your class, for example 
    RLogMan logman; 
    // Do this in the constructor. 
    logman.Connect(); 
    // Do some logging. 
    logman.Write( _L("Hello world") ); 
    // Do this in the destructor.  
    logman.Close();
    some errors:
    ERROR: Unresolved symbol: _ZN7RLogManC1Ev
    ERROR: Unresolved symbol: _ZN7RLogMan7ConnectEv
    ERROR: Unresolved symbol: _ZN7RLogMan15WriteFormatListERK7TDesC16iiSt9__va_list
    ERROR: Unresolved symbol: _ZN7RLogMan5CloseEv
    ERROR: Unresolved symbol: _ZN7RLogManD1Ev
    ERROR: Unresolved symbol: _ZN7RLogManD1Ev

I think it is because i do not have the lib to link.
    can you please tell me where i can download the libs for Logman?

I try to build logman project ,but some errors like:
    S:\s60\tools\commontools\logman-for-symbian\MODULES\LOGMANGUI\data\LogManGui.rss:6: eikon.rh: No such file or directory
    S:\s60\tools\commontools\logman-for-symbian\MODULES\LOGMANGUI\data\LogManGui.rss:7: avkon.rh: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** [S:\epoc32\build\s60\tools\commontools\logman-for-symbian\LOGMANGUI\ARMV5\LogManGui.rsc.d] Error 33
    make[1]: *** Deleting file `S:\epoc32\build\s60\tools\commontools\logman-for-symbian\LOGMANGUI\ARMV5\LogManGui.rsc.d'
    make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    S:\s60\tools\commontools\logman-for-symbian\MODULES\LOGMANGUI\data\LogManGui_reg.rss:3: LogManGui.rsg: No such file or directory
    make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
    make[1]: *** [S:\epoc32\build\s60\tools\commontools\logman-for-symbian\LOGMANGUI\ARMV5\LogManGui_reg.rsc.d] Error 33
    make[1]: *** Deleting file `S:\epoc32\build\s60\tools\commontools\logman-for-symbian\LOGMANGUI\ARMV5\LogManGui_reg.rsc.d'
    "\s60\tools\commontools\logman-for-symbian\MODULES\LOGMANGUI\inc\LogManGui_Document.h", line 6: Error: #5: cannot open source input file "akndoc.h": No such file or directory
    #include <akndoc.h>

Thank you.

Regular Contributor

Code:
    install\install_headers.py
    bldmake bldfiles
    abld build gcce urel
    worked for me.

But since it is complaining about avkon.rh and eikon.rh, you probably have something wrong with your environment. Can you build another project from the command line?

I think it is because i do not have the lib to link.
    can you please tell me where i can download the libs for Logman?
    No libs to download, you'll have to build it. :(

I also recommend using the SCons build scripts since they'll do all the packaging for you.

http://www.scons.org/
    - Last time I tried, 1.2 worked fine.
    http://code.google.com/p/scons-for-symbian/

And this spell should work for you:
    Code:
    scons components=logman.exe,logmangui.exe,logmanstatic.lib,logman.dll compiler=gcce release=urel dosis=true cert=<pathtocert> key=<pathtokey> passwd=<password>
    I'm sorry if I can't be of more help. Maybe someday, if Qt gets it right, I continue the work on this.

Smile Re: [Announce] LogMan logging tool

Code:
    install\install_headers.py
    bldmake bldfiles
    abld build gcce urel
    worked for me.

But since it is complaining about avkon.rh and eikon.rh, you probably have something wrong with your environment. Can you build another project from the command line?

No libs to download, you'll have to build it. :(

I also recommend using the SCons build scripts since they'll do all the packaging for you.

http://www.scons.org/
    - Last time I tried, 1.2 worked fine.
    http://code.google.com/p/scons-for-symbian/

And this spell should work for you:
    Code:
    scons components=logman.exe,logmangui.exe,logmanstatic.lib,logman.dll compiler=gcce release=urel dosis=true cert=<pathtocert> key=<pathtokey> passwd=<password>
    I'm sorry if I can't be of more help. Maybe someday, if Qt gets it right, I continue the work on this.
    Hi GameDude,

Thanks for your update!
    Now I can build Logman.mmp and LogmanServer.mmp successfully(under armv5 udeb/urel target). But LogmanGui still have some errors. But it does not matter because the sis file I downloaded contained the LogmanGui.exe.
    I check the C:/sys/bin path, after install "LogMan_gcce_udeb_1_08_01115.sis“, I can see following files installed:
    Logman.dll
    Logman.exe
    LogmanGui.exe
    _pylogman.pyd.
    I add some log code in my helloworld project, like:
    Code:
    RLogMan::Log(_L("Hello world"));
    or
    Code:
    RLogMan logman; 
    // Do this in the constructor. 
    logman.Connect(); 
    // Do some logging. 
    logman.Write( _L("Hello world") ); 
    // Do this in the destructor.  
    logman.Close();
    and try to print out some logs in HyperTerninal,
    First I connect the phone with PC using PC Suite.
    Second config in LogmanGUI to connnect to PC using serial port successfully.
    Third open HyperTernimal and press "Test Message" in LogmanGUi, I can see the logs in HyperTerminal, but when I open Helloworld project which contained the Log code, when execute these log code, the phone will freeze and I need to reboot the phone, Could you please help on this?
    Is there something wrong I practiced?

Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Not sure, but there might be a version conflict. You have to remove the installation you made with the downloaded .sis and build and install your own version. It's actually intended only for the shell( filesystem handling etc. ).
    Last edited by GameDude; 2010-05-10 at 18:32.