Discussion Board

Super Contributor

What software have I installed?

Just a quick question:

Use case: user is about to upgrade phone firmware and needs to know right now what software has been installed on the device. Those should be reinstalled afterwards and there is no time nor skill to check all the folders and apps manually.

Is there a way to detect what software has been installed? Some way to know the difference between built-on software vs. manually installed software?

Thanx,

--jouni

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: What software have I installed?

Hi,

Are you looking for a way of doing this using Python??

I hope not!

Well in general you could refer the application manager to see what applications are currently installed. But I don't think it will differenciate between preinstalled and user installed applications. Moreover I suggest to take a Backup before a firmware update!

Hope that helps,

Best Regards,
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    Are you looking for a way of doing this using Python??
    Of course

Well in general you could refer the application manager to see what applications are currently installed.
    Hmph, does it have a Python API? I recall a posting about possibility to list all applications, but that method couldn't make any difference with applications on ROM vs. installed sw.

Would be nice to know/see also when was the last time those apps were used. No point to reinstall something which is not needed.

Thanx,

--jouni

Regular Contributor

Jouni,

Application list retrieval IS supported on Symbian (see RApaLsSession for more details), even more it's a Symbian API meaning that it's available both on S60 and UIQ (there's Python for UIQ, too). The application info contains, among others, the full path of an application: if it's on Z: drive, then it's obviously a built-in app, otherwise it's either pre-installed or "post-installed".

If you lack support in Python for this API, I have only one hint for you: write your own. People will be grateful, I can guarantee that.

Tote

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by tote_b5 View Post
    see RApaLsSession for more details ... if (application)'s on Z: drive, then it's obviously a built-in app, otherwise it's either pre-installed or "post-installed".
    Nice class, additional bonus would be GetAppIcon(). Though not a word about capabilities anywhere... Suspicious. Excellent point about Z!

Quote Originally Posted by tote_b5 View Post
    If you lack support in Python for this API, I have only one hint for you: write your own. People will be grateful, I can guarantee that.
    Heh, I've seen the new better world! I did a nice little Sensor Analyzer in about 3 days, would have used 3 weeks with C++. Major changes and mods in minutes, which would take hours in C++

...but if it would help python, that's something else. There were some parts in Symbian C++, which were quite nice...

Don't tempt me,

--jouni

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JOM View Post
    Of course
    Luckily, I found, someone has already written an extension which returns all the installed applications .

Its called applist

Here is how it works,

Code:
    import applist
    apps = applist.applist()
    Hope that helps,

Best Regards,
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Super Contributor

Luckily, I found, someone has already written an extension which returns all the installed applications .
    That's the one someone mentioned earlier! The problem is that it's possibly buggy, as the only defect report says. If appInfo.iCaption.Length() is zero, then returned list is going to miss item(s). Report says that python would crash on that!

Someone would have to fix the code, make new release - and please add some missing features like GetAppIcon() There were also some other interesting functions, which would be nice for python

Still no word about capabilities, could it be that none are required?

Thanx,

--jouni trying to avoid installing carbide.c++ express (hint anyone)

Regular Contributor

Jouni,

If I were you, then I wouldn't hesitate to take this library into use and correct the mistake myself. The bug correction could then be added to the library and vo'ila you would immediately be an open source developer.

As to the capabilities, now I understand what you meant on it. I confirm that NO capabilities are required to query the list of apps.

Cheers,

Tote