Discussion Board

a quick question....

Basically I'm a bit confused on the topic and any helpful info would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully this is the right forum for the question

I've written an app on my laptop that accesses my Bluetooth dongle and searches for services/devices in the local environment which i can then communicate with. I basically want to replicate this on a more mobile device such as a PDA or phone, and I'm not sure what kind of hardware or software i need.

Ideally, i want to transfer it from the IDE im using at the moment to the mobile device, and the device would use its BT instead. I have a Samsung phone at the moment, but i would need a special SDK to write the app in their standards right? I'm guessing whatever platform i use needs to have a JVM. I just know little about the difference between it all. For instance, if i bought a cheap Pocket-PC with Windows Mobile OS, would that do the job? Im sure that supports the JVM/BT etc.

Any suggestions of hardware would be appreciated! Nokia or other kind i dont mind

Super Contributor

Re: a quick question....

Many (most?) Windows Mobile devices do not come with any kind of Java VM.

For mobile Java development, look up J2ME (Java 2 Micro Edition) and MIDP (Mobile Information Device Profile). Another keyword: JSR-82.

Hi

If I understand your question correctly i.e. that you want to run your application on a pda / phone instead a notebook, you should be able to use any device that supports JSR-82(bluetooth API).

I have done a J2ME app using a nokia series 60 phone that searches the area, discovers all devices, finds if ftp service is available on the discovered devices and then send a .png file to the device provided that the user accepts.

I hope this helps you.

Regards
    Steve

thanks for the feedback!

when you wrote this J2ME app steve, was it as simple as just transfering it across to the phone, or did you need to change the code at all (Im not entirely sure how the SDK works)? I've written several J2ME apps in the past in an IDE, but have never managed to get them working on the phone I take it you used as the Nokia SDK to do that or did u do it in something like Netbeans and transfer it across?

Would i gain more flexability with something like a Pocket-PC over a Nokia? For instance, can u code in J2SE, or does everything on a mobile device need to be in J2ME?

Hi

I do not use the Nokia SDK's. I use the netbeans ide in conjunction with Sun's Wireless Toolkit (that provides me with an emulator).

To get the app to the phone I simply bluetooth it over, then when you open the message in the inbox, the app is installed.

I don't know all that much about Pocket PC, but my guess is that what you can run depends on the JVM installed on the device.

Regards
    Steve