Discussion Board

"Allow application to send request" ? Yes or no.

Hi,

I am doing an Internet applicaiton through Gprs. If u open the application i want it to simply redirect u to a particular web page.
    Whenever i entered in that application it is asking me "Allow application to send reguest" Yes or no. I want to get rid of this thing.
    It means whenever i open my application i want it to connect the GPRS directly without asking yes or no question.
    I knw one passible way is to change our phone settings but i want to make it with the code. Is it any possiblilty to do that. Or if i get the java certification for my application
    then it will allow it or not.

thanks.
    kumar

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: "Allow application to send request" ? Yes or no.

Hi Kumar,

even if you sign your midlet, your users would always need to manually allow the application to always connect without asking for permissions. On some phones this could be done via the first permission popup, on other phones (like many Nokia ones) you need to go in application settings screen and change this setting from there. This could mean a bit of "user education" on how to do it, and of course it not optimal for large audiences, but this is how it works..

Pit

Hi jappit,
    Thank you very much for ur reply..
    I also knows that the user need to change the phone settings to allow application to send request. But if we get a java certification then also it will ask for our input to access the GPRS Or Not. I am not having much knowledge about the Java certification. Is it possible on that way to get rid of that question.

Thanks n regards,
    Kumar

Quote Originally Posted by jappit View Post
    Hi Kumar,

even if you sign your midlet, your users would always need to manually allow the application to always connect without asking for permissions. On some phones this could be done via the first permission popup, on other phones (like many Nokia ones) you need to go in application settings screen and change this setting from there. This could mean a bit of "user education" on how to do it, and of course it not optimal for large audiences, but this is how it works..

Pit

Hi,
    So even if we get the Java certification for my application also not going to rectify this Problem.. Right?
    Anyother possible way to do this.

Thanks,
    Kumar.

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Kumar,

you can effectively get rid of that popups signing your midlet, but you cannot automatically/programmatically set the permission level to "Never-ask", so allowing the midlet to connect without asking for permission. It's up to the user to manually set, as explained before, the permission level.

Pit

Hi pit,

Thank you verymuch for your reply..

Thanks
    kumar

Hi Kumar,

you can effectively get rid of that popups signing your midlet, but you cannot automatically/programmatically set the permission level to "Never-ask", so allowing the midlet to connect without asking for permission. It's up to the user to manually set, as explained before, the permission level.

Pit

Hi Kumar,

you can effectively get rid of that popups signing your midlet,
    Pit
    do i have to pay for this signing process even for to use in emulator?

and does any one exactly know how to sign a midlet properly that it will not ask the damn permission questions everytime i needs to send or receive data, or use the location or positioning data?
    or just ask once?

its really killing me in these days...