Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

DHTML or SVG effects

anyone have interesting examples of using DHTML in a WRT application?

Also what sorts of things can be done with SVG in a WRT application? Is it possible to execute javascript calls from a SVG file? Is there any opacity control for bitmaps in SVG?

Regular Contributor

Re: DHTML or SVG effects

Quote Originally Posted by hp3 View Post
    anyone have interesting examples of using DHTML in a WRT application?

Also what sorts of things can be done with SVG in a WRT application? Is it possible to execute javascript calls from a SVG file? Is there any opacity control for bitmaps in SVG?
    By DHTML what exactly do you mean?

Consider the Wikipedia definition of DHTML:

"DHTML is a collection of technologies used together to create interactive and animated web sites by using a combination of a static markup language (such as HTML), a client-side scripting language (such as JavaScript), a presentation definition language (Cascading Style Sheets, CSS), and the Document Object Model."

Incidently, that is basically exactly the definition for how a WRT application (=a widget) operates so it seems to me that every single widget is by definition "an example of DHTML". And inversely; there are no WRT apps that are not DHTML.

As far as SVG goes, it is not currently supported at all in WRT.

Peppe

Regular Contributor

I was thinking along the lines of visual effects like moving things around on screen. I havent researched the browser closely enough to know if it supports any filters to control opacity. Does it control opacity?

Regular Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hp3 View Post
    I was thinking along the lines of visual effects like moving things around on screen. I havent researched the browser closely enough to know if it supports any filters to control opacity. Does it control opacity?
    Opacity isn't supported as a CSS property but 8-bit alpha works in PNG files. Blending performance isn't stellar, however, so it's not a good idea to try to do anything too clever with it. Other than that, you can do anything in terms of animation of CSS properties and the DOM that you can on any PC web browser. So e.g. position elements with absolute coordinates and animate that with the help of a timer. It works perfectly well.

Peppe

WRT SVG Support?

Quote Originally Posted by peppe@peppe.net View Post
    As far as SVG goes, it is not currently supported at all in WRT.
    I just wanted to confirm that the above statement may not be 100% correct. I have manage to display SVG within a widget using (object/embed)
    Code:
    <object data="image.svg" width="100" height="100" type="image/svg+xml" />
    however it seems to include it as an active object which can receive focus. Any idea if it's possible to simply use an SVG file as an image that can't be interacted with - unless of course it is set to respond to events?

In the Aptana WRT preview the SVG image appears fine and is not active (expected behavior). In the emulator (S60 3rd FP2) it displays the same behavior as the device with the SVG image displaying as an active element receiving focus when the cursor is moved over it.
    Last edited by bryanrieger; 2009-01-21 at 10:32. Reason: Added info about SVG support within Aptana and the S60 3rd FP2 Emulator