Discussion Board

Unhappy I got a WS! what now? =(

Hi!

I made a Web Service in Netbeans using GlassFish. I also made a Mobile App that consumes the web service and it works fine.

But how do I see it in action? I want to have this app in my mobile phone and see how it really consumes the web service.

What do I got to do? I saw the Client's URL is "localhost", but I think that shouldnt be there. I got a router, and I would like the service running in my PC and see it in my mobile phone

how do I do this?

thanx =)

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: I got a WS! what now? =(

To access a web service (or any web content) from your mobile phone, you need the machine where this content is located to have a Public IP (and this to be publicly accessible).

Depending on the provider you use for your network connectivity, you could have one.

A simple way to check this out is this:

* retrieve your public IP (i.e. going to www.whatismyip.org)
    * start your webservice
    * try to access your web service via your public IP

Note that, if you're behind a router, you should first configure its NAT settings to let your local IP be visible from outside on a particular port.

Another, simpler, way would be to check for (free?) hostings that allow you to publish your content on their space.

Hope this helps!
    Pit

Question Re: I got a WS! what now? =(

Quote Originally Posted by jappit View Post
    To access a web service (or any web content) from your mobile phone, you need the machine where this content is located to have a Public IP (and this to be publicly accessible).

Depending on the provider you use for your network connectivity, you could have one.

A simple way to check this out is this:

* retrieve your public IP (i.e. going to www.whatismyip.org)
    * start your webservice
    * try to access your web service via your public IP

Note that, if you're behind a router, you should first configure its NAT settings to let your local IP be visible from outside on a particular port.

Another, simpler, way would be to check for (free?) hostings that allow you to publish your content on their space.

Hope this helps!
    Pit
    Well I looked for and found my IP. But as far as I know that IP is actually my router's IP, so I port forwarded to port 8080 where glassfish is running making a Virtual Server in my router.

I changed "http://localhost/..." to my "http://<myIP>/..." in my Client config

Everything worked fine in the Emulator. I could even use the service and it ACKed very well. I know that the emulator used the Internet because when I disabled the Virtual Server it didn't work, and when I enabled the Virtual Server in the router again it worked.

However, I put the .jar file in a real mobile phone, and it didn't work =S. Why could this be?? It worked right in the emulator (and Im sure the emulator used the internet), but not in the mobile

You mentioned something about the Public IP. I tried a website that checks if my IP is public and it told me it is public. I checked other sites and they told me the same

what do you think could be going on? what should I do in order to make it work?

Thanx BTW for ur help =)

Nokia Developer Champion

Just a question, to remove any doubts: can you access your WebService from another PC, external to your local network (or, similarly, from Web browser of your phone)?

Pit

Exclamation Re: I got a WS! what now? =(

Just a question, to remove any doubts: can you access your WebService from another PC, external to your local network (or, similarly, from Web browser of your phone)?

Pit
    I tried it today. It actually didn't work. But I still got my doubts because I left my PC turned on, I dont know if for some reason it was turned off, because when I got home it had restarted.

If I'm actually wrong and this doesn't work, what could be the problem then?

thanx

Nokia Developer Champion

If you cannot access your WS from another PC, is rather hard that you will succeed from a mobile phone. This because, if you have correctly configured NAT on your router, most probably your IP is not publicly accessible.

At this point, a possible solution would be or to buy a static IP from your Internet Service Provider (quite expensive most of times), or to use some hosting providers that support the languages/technologies you used.

Pit

Pit

Smile Re: I got a WS! what now? =(

If you cannot access your WS from another PC, is rather hard that you will succeed from a mobile phone. This because, if you have correctly configured NAT on your router, most probably your IP is not publicly accessible.

At this point, a possible solution would be or to buy a static IP from your Internet Service Provider (quite expensive most of times), or to use some hosting providers that support the languages/technologies you used.

Pit

Pit
    In that case, can you recommend me any hosting provider?

Thanx for your help!

Talking Re: I got a WS! what now? =(

Im sorry for this Double Post hehe

I tried making a WS using the GlobalWeather WSDL found in webservicex.com and it did work in the mobile

so its absolutely my IP. it Seems that I can't host this service in my own PC. But again my question: do you know any site that could host my service?

Regards