Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

RE: Nokia D211 cannot work with SSID Disable

Hello,

Nokia D211 supports association to network if SSID broadcast is disabled. We just recently tested this with the Cisco Aironet 350 access point. We have noticed that with "Broadcast SSID" disabled the association takes a little longer than usual but no more than 15-20 seconds. It might also affect that if you have an old software in your access point a software update may be required. In this case try finding an update from the AP manufacturer's web site.

Best Regards,

Nokia D211 Support

I have tested the SSID broadcast 'DISABLED' with Netgear FM114P and Linksys BEFW11S4. I am not able to associate with the network if the SSID is DISABLED. Only when I switch the SSID broadcast to enable, then the D211 can be associate.

I have the latest firmware for both the FM114P and BEFW11S4, the question is that has Nokia tested with this 2 series of wireless router or just with those enterprise kind of Access point?

Kindly advise, if there are any settings need to be taken care of in the D211 card?

Regular Contributor

Hello,

No, we have not tested with wireless routers. I would advice to ask from the router manufacturers to recommend network settings that will provide interoperability for all WiFi certified terminals.

Best Regards,

Nokia D211 Support

Regular Contributor

Hello,

First of all, SSID broadcast disable setting is not a feature mentioned in IEEE802.11b standard or neither it is required for Wi-Fi certification. It is a feature that has been added by some WLAN manufacturers to their devices, for example Cisco. The Nokia D211 is compatible with the implementation that Cisco has. Why it does not work with Netgear FM114P firmware beta version that I cannot know. Neatgear just recently published a new version of the beta firmware (rel. 17, 08 Jan, 2003), maybe updating that has some effect?

However, Netgear FM114P has been authorised as Wi-Fi certified product by Wi-Fi Association just as well as Nokia D211. Whether Netgear has been Wi-Fi tested with the beta firmware is unknown to us. See www.wi-fi.com for details. Both devices will interoperate within the limits that the standard and the tests define.

I am not sure why SSID Broadcast Disable is essential feature for you but I guess it is a matter of user access control. Let me remind you that there are several standardised ways to provide some level of control for your network, for example WEP keys. Note that turning off SSID Broadcast will prevent most users without the SSID from registering. However, some clients can probe and display SSIDs, so the client could then change SSID and reassociate. So remember, SSID is not for securing your network. It is a simple way controlling accesses.

I list some issues that might help you finding out if the Nokia D211 can interoperate with your wireless router while SSID broadcast has been disabled:

Nokia D211 has SSID Broadcast setting as 'automatic' as default. Try if changing that setting has any effect ('On'/'Off'). (Profile Edit -> Configure Settings Manually -> Advanced -> Broadcast SSID)

Check that SSID (network name) has been correctly entered (check for typos or capital letters).

If it is possible to edit the following settings from the router try also if changing these have any effect combined with previous settings:

Basic Rate -> 2Mb
    Nokia D211 is compatible with all basic rate settings but higher rate may decrease the range of the wireless router.

Broadcast type -> Long Preamble
    Nokia D211 is also compatible with Short Preamble and most APs have 'Long Preamble' as default setting.

Best Regards,

Nokia D211 Support

Nokia D211 cannot work with SSID Disable

I have a Nokia D211 working only with Netgear FM114P if the SSID is enable. If I switch the SSID broadcast to disable, the D211 will never be able to detect any signal.

Is there any firmware patch for this? Kindly advise.