Discussion Board

SIP default profile setting weirdness

On Nokia E60 registered to Truphone and Gizmo VOIP, making an internet call to a manually entered telephone number XXXX will result in SIP VOIP call to XXXX@truphone.com or XXXX@proxy01.sipphone.com, depending on which of the two was installed most recently, and regardless of which SIP profile has been selected as "default profile." It does not appear that setting the default profile has any effect whatsoever!

Similarly I find that the problem carries over to Nokia E51. Handset is registered to Truphone, Gizmo, and pbxes.org. Setting default profile has no effect. Somehow the phone decides for itself which network to call out on. For some reason it usually defaults to Gizmo, no matter which network is highlighted in SIP settings. In order to call out on Truphone it is necessary to set Gizmo to register "as needed."

Furthermore, when the phone indicates that it is registered only to pbxes.org, but not to any of the other profiles, the internet call indicator vanishes and the phone displays an error message when attempting to make an internet call "Phone not registered with internet telephone service. Register now?" Clicking "Yes" results in indefinite hang. This despite the fact that the phone is already registered, at least according to SIP profile.

To complicate matters further, even when Truphone profile is set to "As needed," after several minutes it automatically changes registration status to "Always on" and registers without any user intervention. How does it do that?

Has anyone else observed these phenomena? Is there a solution?

Re: SIP default profile setting weirdness

Default SIP profile setting in SIP settings doesn't have any effect for Nokia VoIP implementation. It's SIP specific and other applications using SIP protocol may use it.

So in the case where a handset is registered to multiple SIP accounts, how does it decide which profile to use for an outgoing internet call?

On your E51, try tweaking the "Internet Telephone" profile settings in both Tools -> Settings and in Connectivity -> Internet Telephone.

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve, so I can't advise what you should do, but if you create the right number of Internet Telephone profiles and have the correct SIP Profiles bound to them (and respective correct Access Points as well), you should achieve the results you desire. It may be a little confusing at first, but it will work.

The handset is registered to four different SIP proxies. Now I would like to choose which one to use for an outgoing internet call, without disconnecting from any of the others.

At the moment it seems the only way to, for example, make a call via Truphone, would be to disconnect from Gizmo. There is some method the handset is using to determine which profile to use for the outgoing internet call, but I don't know what it is. Alphabetical order? Last installed? I don't know.

Let me put it another way: I want to use Truphone for outgoing calls to US 800 numbers, Vyke for US domestic calls, and Gizmo for calls to Thailand. Each service has its own callback number as well, so I want to stay connected to all three. I don't want to disconnect from Gizmo in order to call an 800 number via Truphone. But right now that seems to be the only way to do it. Neither of the Internet Telephone setting menus provide any function for prioritizing or ranking the lists of providers.

Oh, now I see what you're trying to do. You're looking to set a trunking policy based on the phone number/destination.

You can't do something that complicated with a Nokia phone (at least not yet). What you need to do is setup a server in the middle to do the trunking for you. Have a look at any of the many VoIP servers out there. You can go with something as simple as a SIP router (SER, OpenSER) to a full blown IP PBX (asterisk, callweaver, freeswitch, etc). Have a look at http://voip-info.org It's a great place to start learning.

The topology of your VoIP network would look something like this:

Code:
                                     ┌------>   Truephone
                                     |
    Nokia phones ----> VoIP Server --┼------>   Vyke
                                     |
                                     └------>   Gizmo
    The VoIP Server will register with each of your phone accounts (and can even manage your voicemail, if you'd like), and your phone will register to your server. Trunking is a standard/trivial thing for VoIP servers, but you don't find that kind of functionality on VoIP clients.

Yes I could just register my various trunks through pbxes.org or mysipswitch.com and then implement dialing rules. Or I could even install an Asterix server myself.

Except that Truphone won't allow it. It's a violation of the Truphone terms of service, and they encrypt the passwords locally in order to prevent registration by anything except an S60 client.

In fact what I would like to do is something much less ambitious.

I would like to manually choose which network to call out on, on a call by call basis.

I finally found the answer to my question:

Your device can be connected only to one WLAN access point at a time. If you use two or more Internet call services, which use the same access point, your device may be connected to multiple services at the same time. The service used for outgoing Internet calls is shown in the view, where the connection networks are listed, and can be changed by selecting Change service.

Thanks for taking the time to try to figure this out. You were correct in that the setting was in the Internet Call Services menu.

Hi..I have Nokia C06-00 with updated software.
    I tried to register my phone with SIP Openser/Asterisk server.
    Registration went fine , but call is not going.
    I checked in ethereal that contact address is different than from address.So incoming call not reaching to device.This default sip profile in Nokia C06-00.

But when i used any sip client (opensource),its working.
    So whats is the wrong in nokia default sip profile.

can anybody explan or how to overcome this issue.