Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

certificate and UID

Hi

I'm new in the symbian world and I have some question about this UID and certificates.

I made some soft tests, and now I want to publish my software. So the company that I'm working for has a publisherID, but it was never used successfully.

My test app works fine with a "only for one IMEI" certificat and now I would like to use the publisherID certificate.

My application is based on the cameraApp exemple in the SDK. (UID 3 is 0xE....)

So should my application work only by changing the cer/key ? (I'm using carbide and I changed this in the project configuration). I ask because I think it's must work but, it don't. (error with the certificat, watch with the application manifacturer ... )

So I thought it was because of this UID thing ? but when I change UID3 I got error like "unable to install" ... so.. must I change secureID or UID2 too ? Is that possible to change the UID of an SDK exemple ?

So I don't understand why the installation is impossible when i use the publisherID certificate.

Thx for your time

Christophe

Re: certificate and UID

Excuse me my question is maybe stupid but...
    When you use your new couple of .cer and .key what do you get using vf.exe ?
    You should have a valid Publisher ID and no devcert

vf.exe is the tool given on Symbian Signed website to check which certificate is currently embedded with the .sis

if yes take this .sis and do a SignSis with your old devcert on it
    vf.exe -> you should have PID valid + devcert then you can install it on your test phone.

The one you have to send to testhouse is obviously the .sis with only the PID
    I'm kind of paranoïd and that's what I test everytime I submit an app
    Last edited by Noxh; 2008-05-20 at 14:50.

Regular Contributor

I'll try to check with vf.

I forget to tell that I'm trying to install on a s60. So I have a sisx file.

I use carbide for compiling and in signing options I already selected my cer/key. So i think my sisx contains a valid certificate.

But having a publisherID permit to don't have to send the sis ? no ?

Ok excuse me I wasn't clear...

First of all you create your software using a devcert with a cer/key couple bound to the imei.

Once your software is ready, in your building configuration, replace the devcert cer/key with you PID one.
    Now your software cannot be installed!
    You must do this to make your app signed because it provides information about the origin of the software and a proof that your PID is valid.

The Testhouse will certify this .sis so you will be able to install it on any IMEI

To be sure you compiled it well, "vf.exe" it to check if certificate has been successfuly embedded (sorry i cannot find the link but it's a Symbian Signed common tool)

If you wanna try this .sis compiled with your PID, you can make a SignSis on it with your devcert couple, then install it on the dev phone, once installed you can see in app manager that 2 certificates have been applied.

If you make a simple app, no need to make a .sisx, .sis is what I commonly do.

Hope this is clear my english is crooked I know

Edit: UID2 must be in protected range
    Last edited by Noxh; 2008-05-21 at 08:29.

Super Contributor

Actually I am not sure the steps have all been followed in order

1. Get publisher id from Trust Center
    2. download certificate from publisher's website via email link
    3. Import into ie
    4. export from ie
    5. Split certificate into .cer and .key components
    6. Use devcert request app (from Symbian signed portal) to generate a devcert request file (.csr) with the capabilities and IMEI's requested
    7. Upload .csr file to Symbian Signed portal and wait for it to be approved
    8. When an email is recieved, go back to the Symbian Suigned portal and download the new .cer file.
    9. sign your application with the devcert .cer file, IE not your publisher id)

When submitting to the test house you must use the .cer file in 5, not the devcert.

90% of people who have problems go wrong on steps 3-5.
    Also this is specific to Trust Center, there is a seperate tool vs_<something> for verisign certificates.

See http://developer.symbian.com/forum/ann.jspa?annID=38 for information on how to export publisher ids from your browser
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Regular Contributor

thx for your help noah.

So, by "vf" I thing you speak about the "verify symbian signed" tool.

So I just compared the differencies between my 2 files (dev signed only for my dev mobile and publisher ID signed)

the first only contains a devcert, and the second has 2 : publisher signed and publisher supplier (TCT)

At this moment I'm reading the symbian guide for signing... and I just understand that I don't have the choice.. if I want a commercial release (no IMEI required) I don't have the choice to send it to the testhouse.

So I'm suprised about all this certificate things ... it's realy not friendly to use it. Between signing, UID request on symbSigned, or eventualy content ID requests ...

So you said I could use the .sis file. But on my N95 I get certificat error. I think in 3rd edition I don't have the choice to sign applications.

Thank you for enlighting me about the symbian signed wonderfull world

Talking Re: certificate and UID

Yes you can use it but you have to use SignSis with your devcert couple and it must then work.

This a small test I perfom every time to be sure everything is fine with my .sis and then I obviously send the .sis without devcert but PID.

I must admit it's not really simple, you still have to deal with console commands, papers, expiration dates... Not that fun, I made a little remindre of every step because back from holidays it always takes me 1 day to remember how the hell I made the last release signed

Regular Contributor

I just have a little question, for confirmation.

So I build all my application with an dev UID 0xE.. then before sending it to symbian for express signing, I must change the UID to an protected requested on the site 0x2...

So in my code I have changed all the referencies to the old UID. Is that logical that I can't install it with the UID, dev cert, and publisher key ? Or it must be working ?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe.A View Post
    So in my code I have changed all the referencies to the old UID. Is that logical that I can't install it with the UID, dev cert, and publisher key ? Or it must be working ?
    If you have a valid DevCert it will work with the new UID too. The PublisherID is irrelevant, aside from the fact that you need it to get the DevCert
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

hmm okay, thx for the reply.

So I don't understand why it don't work just by changing the UID.

The installation start, and in the middle of the progres bar I obtain the error "impossible to install"

Uninstalling the previous version might be a good idea. Also make sure that you have replaced ALL occurrences of the UID, be they in the code, in paths and file names, resources, ... everywhere.
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

Regular Contributor

It's exactly what I does find/remplace my old UID.

But there is one in the pkg file that don't reference any uid, I don't know if I have to change it or not.

"C:\Symbian\9.3\S60_3rd_FP2_Beta\epoc32\data\z\private\10003a3f\apps\myApp_reg.RSC" -"!:\private\10003a3f\import\apps\myApp_reg.RSC"

I think I don't have to change it. Am I wrong ?

That one is fine, do not change it.
    -- Lucian

Regular Contributor

okay, so I don't realy why, but it's fine now. I cleaned all the project, rebooted the device,... it seems to be OK

thx