Discussion Board

MTP and PTP information

Hi ,
    can any one give information about MTP(Media Transfer Protocal) and PTP(Picture Transfer Protocal) information in symbian 3rd edition

with regards,
    Naidu

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: MTP and PTP information

Yes, perhaps, maybe, no. Depends what you want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by hotcheese View Post
    Yes, perhaps, maybe, no. Depends what you want to know.
    Hi Actually i want to find out few things

1> how data will get transimetted
    2>how ECOM plug in takes place in MTP
    3>what advanced features it is having

Nokia Developer Champion

I'm not sure what you mean by how the data gets transmitted - its sent according to the PTP/MTP protocol currently over USB.

MTP uses ECom plugins in a similar way as SyncML does in that there is i.e. a plugin for dealing with music files, a plugin for dealing with pictures (but its not quite as 1 to 1 straightforward as that).

Why do you need to know about it? Do you want to write a plugin for an unhandles data type?

Quote Originally Posted by hotcheese View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by how the data gets transmitted - its sent according to the PTP/MTP protocol currently over USB.

MTP uses ECom plugins in a similar way as SyncML does in that there is i.e. a plugin for dealing with music files, a plugin for dealing with pictures (but its not quite as 1 to 1 straightforward as that).

Why do you need to know about it? Do you want to write a plugin for an unhandles data type?

Can you give example of SyncML deals with music files,a plug in for dealing with pictures

if you have any example of MTP

Nokia Developer Champion

SyncML doesn't deal with those types I was using it as an example of how it corresponds with MTP in terms of centent type being handled by specific plugins.

SyncML has one DP (Data provider plugin) for contacts, one for calendar, one for messaging etc. In a similar way MTP has one DP for music, one for video etc.

You could add new DPs to SyncML to deal with music and video or you could add new DPs to MTP to deal with calendar or contacts etc.

No I don't have any code and it would be better if you said what you actually want to do instead of asking questions without context.