Discussion Board

Standalone App on OSX?

Hey All,

I'm trying to make a standalone app for an N95 using ensymble on OSX. I have installed openssl and ensymble (in the /opt/local/bin) but my application doesn't run. Everything seems to go alright in the python interpreter and during py2sis and signing, but on the phone the app just doesn't run. Anyone have any clues as to what might be happening? or know of a good walkthrough for making a working sis from python code on OSX?

Julie

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Standalone App on OSX?

Quote Originally Posted by julierico View Post
    Hey All,

I'm trying to make a standalone app for an N95 using ensymble on OSX. I have installed openssl and ensymble (in the /opt/local/bin) but my application doesn't run. Everything seems to go alright in the python interpreter and during py2sis and signing, but on the phone the app just doesn't run. Anyone have any clues as to what might be happening? or know of a good walkthrough for making a working sis from python code on OSX?

Julie
    Can you successfully create the SIS file from Ensymble?

Or does the created file not run on Phone?

Best Regards,
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    Can you successfully create the SIS file from Ensymble?

Or does the created file not run on Phone?

Best Regards,
    Croozeus

The file appears to be created correctly (no errors) but the file does not run after installation on the phone (installation is successful)

Super Contributor

The file appears to be created correctly (no errors) but the file does not run after installation on the phone (installation is successful)
    This is a very common problem for beginners. There are subtle differences between a stand-alone and the script shell-hosted environment for Python applications. Stand-alone applications have no console where to print Python exception traces, so you must provide one yourself. Check out the Wiki article on debugging (see "Method 2") and search the forum for "exception harness".

Also, it's better to install PyS60 and your own applications on drive C (internal memory of the phone). Installing on external memory card can be unreliable.

I've tried using the exception harness, but it doesn't seem to be working. It is never actually reaching this when I try to instantiate a class in my code. I started with a simple note to pop up after my class code and this works. Then, I changed this to a class instantiation and it crashes without even giving me any message. The confusing part is that it runs without any errors in the script shell.

Do I need to somehow point this to the script shell? it seems like it is never even reaching the script shell. Or is there some idiosyncrasy in stand alone app code versus script shell code that is causing this to immediately crash?

I'm pretty lost here, please help!

Super Contributor

I've tried using the exception harness, but it doesn't seem to be working. It is never actually reaching this when I try to instantiate a class in my code. I started with a simple note to pop up after my class code and this works. Then, I changed this to a class instantiation and it crashes without even giving me any message.
    The only thing I can think of that prevents even the exception harness from catching the exception is a Python syntax error in the code.