Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

How to Write a USSD application for Nokia Phone

Hi all,

I have never created any application which works on USSD commands.... but now i need to work on it... i dont know where to start from please help me out... i have develope a USSD application for nokia phones

Regards
    Archana Muralidhar

Re: How to Write a USSD application for Nokia Phone

yes any help in this direction for new starters is highly appreciated.

whom do we need to approach if we need to build an USSD based app?

thanks

Hi all,

Is it Unstructured Supplementary Service Data? I am not aware of any API supporting it from Java ME application.

If you are considering it for payment services, Java ME has the JSR-229 - http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=229

Br,
    Juarez Alvares Barbosa Junior - Brazil

Regular Contributor
    "On a b'ful lil palnet called EARTH belongs wid Galaxy named MilkyWay in Universe"

Post Re: How to Write a USSD application for Nokia Phone

Hi Archana. In symbian it is possible to code for USSD command. Even Yukka Sir gave a nice example for this. Search out that on wiki. http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph..._USSD_commands
    ===With Symbian===
    "Something Has Survived..!!!"

Regular Contributor

Hi all ,
    Thanks for the reply in the above examples ,it shows how to send a USSD request but it does not show how to create a application, that is, say i send a request to my USSD number *999# it should respond with a menu and wait for the reply something like a Airtel balance service..... if i am wrong somewhere please forgive me and also if its only on Symbian platform how can i target the lower end devices

Regards
    Archana Muralidhar

Smile Re: How to Write a USSD application for Nokia Phone

Archana,

Backend app development suite which supports the USSD mode for app developers and app dev suite is available from aricent as per the app_note below
    http://www.aricent.com/PDF/nextGen_U...tion_Notes.pdf

My view or understanding on USSD supported apps, its great way every mobile does work.
    Its secured and can be encrypted, example application can be users to verify pending bill amount ( typically ISP based billing information on unbilled amount is directly linked with the OSS equipment and backend billing systems ). Special gateway is built in ISP office, which can be linked to client ERP systems to fetch third party VAS solution based on your customisation.

The messages are sent and received directly between phone and backend server..

I understand, there is no code on device ( its purely thin client info, even without User interface window,plain command response ( dos or foxbase days ). No code and data being stays over the phone. ( no code to be built over the phone )

No bills for usage are generated, meaning client who procures a command with 3-4 digit number such as *544*01# will pay all the charges for the number.

The overall application sits in ISP servers and is hooked directly when the system command is provided by user which is like dialling a number and getting a digital response in place of the voice call.

It would be great if someone wants to comment on this understanding../yk

Smile Re: How to Write a USSD application for Nokia Phone

you never create any symbian or non symbian app for USSD on the device..

Whatever you do , will be only in the backend .

The device user only enters the commands. Everything is pushed live from backend which is in the ISP servers/ data centres.

Hi Nitin ,
    Have you tried code in the above link . I have Carbide.c++ 2.3 and i am not able to import this project into that . I want to run this USSD project . Let me know If you have any idea how i can do that it . Thanks.