Discussion Board

autocomplete, file system and very basic question on J2ME, Newbie

Hi,

We are developing interesting project (in India), and here is few details and query we have stucked.

1. application does not interact using network,GPRS,SMS Its fully local applicatoin on mobile.

2. It will read from local file,Record management system.

3. Which mobile (from india perspective !) may not have neither file system nor record management system.

4. our data size is approx 90KB is that fine for Filesystem/RMS ?

5. GUI: we want to show list of item and let user select one of them. List will be in sorted order. We want to have Autocomplete feature, so our user's don't need to type full, but just type first letter, then list will its member from that letter and likewise. [list will be alphabetically sorted]

Thanks for your help in advance,
    Raxit Sheth
    www.mykavita.com
    Mobile 4 Mumbai

Super Contributor

Re: autocomplete, file system and very basic question on J2ME, Newbie

3) You need to do this exercise yourself (and I do not know the INdian market situation, most popular handsets and so on).
    Are you targeting only new phone buyers? Or do you want to support people who have bought phones years back? Nokia-only, or also other manufaturers?
    For Nokia devices, the tech specs are available here
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices

4) should be fine.

Autocompletion might cause problems.

Hartti

Super Contributor

Just adding a few words to hartti's post,
    In inida this is not the case that only older mobiles or new mobiles are only in use.Its a mixture of both
    You can use local machine and can read local file system or RMS easily through mobile..ok

Just go and check for devices details that Hartti had already provide you.

Thanks and Regards
    Raj
    Thanks with Regards,

R a j - The K e r n e l

Join Delhi-NCR Nokia Developer's Community,

Hi,

Thanks Hartti and Raj,
    Indeed we have finished Major stuff in development. Now a little small stuff will complete the stuff.

in our GUI part (which is madeup of Forms --not canvas, No j2mepolish) we want our user should select one item from the list (not j2me list)of 100 or 200 item. Each item's average length is approx 12 char. And it is very tedious to enter 10-12 character in normal phone. (which here comes at cost of $100 or so, which supports j2me)

Which GUI component you think is best suitable to get input in this situation ?

Thanks in advance,

-Raxit

Super Contributor

100-200 items... with high-level UI...hmmmm... tough.

Not List unless you divide the list to a hierarchy of lists.
    TextField is not very good option either (possibility of typos and long names to enter)

Hartti

Nokia Developer Champion

Hi Raxit,

you could try implementing it by using a TextField and a Thread to periodically check if TextField value has changed (or, similarly, you could use an ItemStateListener): when it does, you can dinamically add/remove Items (for example, CustomItems or StringItems) to your Form, displaying only the elements that match the current TextField input String.

This way, you would not need to display all your 200 items at once, and you would have the autocomplete feature you want

Hope it helps,
    Pit
    Last edited by jappit; 2008-07-01 at 09:28.

Jappit,Hartti,

Nice blog !
    I do have still few more queries....

1. Any idea about below ?
    http://www.j2mepolish.org/javadoc/j2...iveAccess.html

2. Trying Jappit's option, Its Platform dependent ?
    [will try soon.]

3. I have seen many address book, when as you type the word they automatically update the number.... do you think any Opensource J2ME addressbook of that kind available ? (so i can modify the code).

Tnx again,
    Raxit

Hi,

Here is what i have written quick code, What it does lik... I hope this thought may help others. [And one queries after that!]

-Display a Form and Two TextBoxes, and Search Button.
    -Instead of AutoFill we used different GUI technique.
    -User will enter few characters to TextBox... and then press search.
    -On pressing search, User will get list of item which start with those characters.
    -i.e. Finally user has No Need to enter full name, they can enter few char. then they will get list of strings start with those character, they will select one item (list is implicit) Done !!!

Now Queries:
    1.Is it possible to have TextBox and List on same form ? So As Users Enter characters, List get automatically updates, user can either enter into textbox or list [ Refer your mobile's addressbook...very simillar stuff.]

2. Presently we do have Two Textbox,One form. Say for Ex. User's focus is on TextBox1 and he press "search", how we can find where is the focus ? so we can display list accordingly... and selected result will updated accordingly ?

Thanks,
    Raxit Sheth
    Co-Founder "Mobile 4 Mumbai"

We have done using choice group, and ItemStateChange, however it is tooo slow. Just an updte we are thinking to do something with Thread and OnStateChange... will try it out,

do you have any idea about it ?

-Raxit