Discussion Board

sysinfo.signal_dbm()

Just had a play around with this when the N95 I'm running on was sat next to a "Nemo Handy" test tool and quite frankly the results from the sysinfo function were not accurate at all.

It constantly reported 89 (not clear but I assume this is -89dBm) when the nemo tool varied from -70 to -82dBm

I'm not sure whether it's me, my code or the phone, but this function at least is pretty unusable in its current form. However, I'm happy to be proved wrong

Regular Contributor

Re: sysinfo.signal_dbm()

Ya it was 83 in my case when tried 4 times.
    IDEAS is all they need but still they think only Genius can give them that.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by shubhendra View Post
    Ya it was 83 in my case when tried 4 times.
    Prepare to be shocked: I tried it 3 times on my N95 and got 54 every time Even though the signal indicator was full (7 bars).

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    Prepare to be shocked: I tried it 3 times on my N95 and got 54 every time Even though the signal indicator was full (7 bars).
    In fairness, given that that this should be reporting the RSCP level but without the negative sign in front, I'd expect -54dBm to be showing 7 bars

What I don't expect is such a stable signal - even if your phone is sat on your desk the signal level will fluctuate by a good 5 - 10 dBs just through multipath effects and so on so for a device to show the same level over the course of 10 / 20 seconds means there's somethign seriosuly wrong, or some very crude averaging going on.

Regular Contributor

Hi@all,
    GingerToby hits the point
    It seems that Nokias gsm/umts module firmware is doing a kind of averaging to the -dBm output on all devices. I've noticed that behavior on 6680, N70, N73 and E61.
    When you get the signal strength via AT-commands you'll see the same behavior.
    We'll have to live with that.

novis

Quote Originally Posted by novis View Post
    Hi@all,
    GingerToby hits the point
    Thanks

Is there anything we can do about this - i.e. writing a low level module in C to get more accurate access to this data?

Regular Contributor

Hi GingerToby,
    i don't think so. U'll get the same effect by using AT-commands. And AT-commands directly talk to the device inbuild GSM/UMTS-module, bypassing the Symbian system software. So even a C-extension wont help.

greetings
    novis