Discussion Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nokia SIP VoIP client for N78?

I just bought N78 and noticed that it doesn't have Nokia SIP VoIP client. I also looked the specs of the N96 http://www.forum.nokia.com/devices/N96 and it doesn't have it either.

Does anyone know if there is going to be support for VoIP in N78 devices in the future? Even Fring doesn't work in this phone. Are there any other VoIP clients that I could use in this phone to contact my operator's VoIP server.

How come this phone doesn't have Nokia SIP VoIP client like many other older N-series phones?

I know that my question doesn't have anything to do with developing software but I haven't found any other place to ask.

Re: Nokia SIP VoIP client for N78?

Both these phones have PoC feature which can be confirmed from the specifications. So both these should support SIP VoIP client. Please check the Settings>Connection>SIP Settings. Ideally it should be present.

Regards
    Nidhi

I can't speak for why it's not there or whether there are plans to implement them later (but I'd guess it's not likely).

VoIP Support in Nokia Devices
    http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso...a_devices.html
    This page lists all the Nokia phones that have VoIP clients.

You have to do your research before you make your purchases. Not all S60r3 phones have VoIP support. In fact, only a small minority do. Currently, most of ones that do have VoIP seem to be aimed at the business market (primarily the E series), and not the consumer market (N-series).

I forgot to address your question about fring.

Why doesn't fring work on your phone? It should. fring will run on an S60r3 phone. It should run on the N78. It's not listed in the download options, but just choose any of the listed S60 phones and it should work.

When I bought this phone from my operator it was said on the operator's internet site that this phone has VoIP client. When I realized that it doesn't have this feature I called operator's service and they said that I can return the phone. Now the only problem is that I can't find a phone which would be suitable for me. I would need 900Mhz UMTS, VoIP and Wlan and there isn't a phone that would have all of these. That's why I would like to find some VoIP client that would work for this phone.

I have tested Fring and it doesn't work. When I ring a VoIP call with it the phone I'm calling to rings but after answering the line is silent.

For nidhigupta, yes, this phone has sip settings but no VoIP client.

If fring rings but you have no session audio, it sounds like you have some kind of network problem, likely a firewall issue (NAT). Does your phone receive a public or private IP?

Session audio problems would be experienced by all VoIP clients. You need to try to configure a STUN server or set up port forwarding properly in your network (if you can). I don't know if fring supports STUN, but if it does, that would be your best bet.

Regular Contributor

but why this phones doesn't have this future ?
    In previous devices works pretty good... we used very succesfully in our corporate.
    N96 is the evolution of N95 and in N95 there is a sip client that is the best version I tryed ( release 2.3 )...

Is this only a case or starting form here SIP client will be released only in E-Series devices for the new phones series ?

Ste

Regular Contributor

Hmmmm...

This is a difficult topic, let's just say for know that Voip will be back in the newer phones but can't say for sure now that will f.ex firmare update be available for the already released ones.

We'll provide further info once the message is clear.

Jack

Regular Contributor

One more thing,
    3rd party Voip providers apps will work if they are using there own voip implementation and are not built upon the nokia voip framework.

So there's voip available in every nokia 3rd ed. phone, whether built in or afterinstallable. Luckily S60 is so open that 3rd parties can implement their own solutions for Voip as well.

Jack

Hey friends,

I have also seen N78 and there are few more changes which I am not able to understand.

I do not see Access points settings window which was in previous phones.

I am also not able to find out in-built VPN client or anyway to check it. Atleast in settings its not there.

Any idea?

Thanks,
    Digish

Talking Re: Nokia SIP VoIP client for N78?

i dont have the device that you are talking about but for most cases the setting for the phone are installed on the tools application or in profile application.
    i was hoping too, that the voip service will be available on the later months ore year.

This (removal of voip) could be done on purpose - it is not present also on N96 and other S60 V3 feature pack 2 phones.

The reason for this could be pressure by operators - in UK for example the VoIP functionality is removed from the menu of other phones. In some countries (Greece) operators are blocking VoIP packets over GPRS, etc.

Fring should work as a work arround, but it is not the true solution (it crashes easily and is not integrating well).

Regards,
    E.Kojsi

VoIP is smart move. although some countries does not permit but still it will work dramatically

Hello,

I have a N78 and I use Fring with no problems. I downloaded it directly from the phone´s web browser.

Bye.

There is no problem of installing Fring on any S60 phone.
    The problem is the ease of use - it is not integrating well into the phone, gets blocked from time to time (you need to restart the phone).
    Lots of moves (illogical) required to make a SIP call (compared to built-in Internet phone in other models), etc.

Regards,
    Edi