Discussion Board

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Nokia SIP VoIP client for N78?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Torrance View Post
    One more thing,
    Luckily S60 is so open that 3rd parties can implement their own solutions for Voip as well.
    Jack, sorry , but its has nothing to do with luck that S60 3.2 is "so open".

You haven't been living in a cave in Helsinki have you? You know there is this announcement recently about the Symbian Foundation in which Nokia is going to transfer the intellectual property rights of Symbian to the new independent Foundation. This is not luck. This is survival. If Nokia wants to Symbian to survive and compete with Google Android, they have no choice.

But it was amusing to see you dress this up as "luck"!

Nokia Developer Expert

The Nokia N78 and N96, as some of the first S60 3.2 based Nokia Nseries devices, differ in VoIP support from previous models.
    VoIP is still possible with these devices. However, some developer APIs have changed, as follows:

A new "VoIP Audio Service" (VAS) API has been added for 3rd party standalone VoIP applications, which enhances developer access to VoIP functions, e.g. it improves call quality (e.g. packet concealment) and allows to easily switch between earpiece and hands-free-speaker. Third-party VoIP applications based on VAS API will work fine and 3rd party VoIP applications are expected to be released from VoIP developers soon for S60 3.2 releases.

The Nokia VoIP application called the Nokia Internet Telephony client is not included in these products, as it has not been available for the S60 3.2 release which these products are based on. Those third-party VoIP services such e.g Gizmo and Truphone which are based on the Nokia Internet Telephony client, will not work.

Forum Nokia will work with third-party developers to support them in porting their full duplex VoIP applications from S60 3.0/3.1 releases to S60 3.2 (e.g. N78 and N96).

Link to Forum Nokia information on VoIP technologies and the new VAS API: http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso...velopment.html

Update Aug 27th:
    Please note that the recently announced devices Nokia N79 and Nokia N85 (S60 3rd ed FP2) are equipped with the improved, fully integrated native VoIP client with configurable VoIP tab view in the contacts book and presence.
    Last edited by nly; 2008-08-27 at 17:44.

Any Solution Please ????

Anyother softphone rather than to talk about Fring, Gimzo etc which can use the SIP profile of phone ?

Or any good news about the SIP feature.

This lack of VoIp client in the N96 is a big faux pas IMO.

The N80, N95 both had it. The client should have been updated alongside the stack improvements. It was the tight integration that made those phones the best around for VoIP IMO.

I seriously hope the new client is backported to the N96.

I've heard reference on some other boards that this fully integrated client is making it to the N96. I can't see anything in 12.043. Are you able to add anything?

Re: Nokia SIP VoIP client for N78? - is coming very soon

It seems that the voip application for the N78 and N96 will be released very soon, as charlie (a guy from the NOKIA company) comments here:

http://conversations.nokia.com/home/...ge/2/#comments

I read the article you posted but it only spoke of the n95. Did you hear any new news on the n78 Voip Client? I was really hoping this phone would work on VOIP and purchased it against the e51 thinking they were the same functionality.

To my surprise I am very disappointed. I hope a solution comes though. Did fring work for you?

I am yet another disappointed Nokia N78 customer.
    Please provide a solution to the VOIP problem. We have been patiently waiting for things to resolve.

Having said that, I have installed apps like Fring, Skype, Nimbuzz but none of them can talk to the wifi network.

For instance, when I downloaded and successfully installed fring on my phone, it tries to connect to the available wi-fi networks (access points) in the area and then I get this error:

"Could not establish connection to the Fring network. Would you like to start automatic search?"

I say yes.

It tests all the wifi networks in area, but still cannot connect to any of them.

After it fails, it gives "fring cannot work without an internet connection. Would you like to return to access point selection?"

I say No.

Application exits. I see the same error when I run all of aforementioned 3rd party VOIP apps which N78 is supposed to be supporting already.

Eagerly awaiting some resourceful guidance. Thanks.

I was able to install and use skype on my n78 through fring using my Wireless network at home, seems to work OK, need a lot of improvement conversations get choppy and cut off, I have not yet installed SKYPE on the phone I have only tried it through fring. As for a SIP client to use my Home voip account I was not able to do so. I also have an e61 and I was able to use my voip account without troubles.

hey Nambi, thanks for the update. I am still unable to make Fring, Skype or Nimbuzz talk to my wi-fi network. Did you have to change settings (like open any ports) in your router for Fring to connect to the internet?

Thanks.

Nokia Developer Expert

Hi N78_Guy,

I passed your message to fring and they replied with following suggestions:

------------------
    Please send us an email to support@fring.com so we can have a look at the issue. It looks like a connection issue that's related to the ports he should open.

You might try closing fring, uninstall APS server and reinstall fring.
    This should solve the audio problems.

nly, thanks for forwarding the correspondence.
    I had been in touch w/ Fring support as well. I had to reset my wireless router to factory settings and open some ports and that seems to have resolved the connectivity issue.

Skype beta seems to use service provider's internet and not wifi. So I am going to stop trying there.

Although, I am still curious to know whether Nokia plans to come out with a OTA VOIP update for N78 or not?
    Again, thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by N78_guy View Post
    nly, thanks for forwarding the correspondence.
    I had been in touch w/ Fring support as well. I had to reset my wireless router to factory settings and open some ports and that seems to have resolved the connectivity issue.

Skype beta seems to use service provider's internet and not wifi. So I am going to stop trying there.

Although, I am still curious to know whether Nokia plans to come out with a OTA VOIP update for N78 or not?
    Again, thanks for your help.
    Hello Fring Works fine on N78.
    But the right VOIP client from Nokia has the advantage you can also access the internal SIP addresses what to do with fring & co is not possible.
    PLEASE GIVE THE NOKIA N78 AND FINALLY THE VOIP CLIENT!

Hii,,
    Can any body help.. I have N79 and i configured the sip to register with cisco call manger, everything is fine and the phone register with cisco call manger, but now how can i use voip call?. PLZ help

Nokia Developer Champion
    elmosafer, this thread is about the Nokia N78. For a Nokia N79 and your question, I recommend to use Nokia’s end-user support channels as here we are in the developer centric discussion boards.