Discussion Board

Thread: help with SISX

help with SISX

hi all,
    i debuged an application on device using carbided, anybody knows how to sign the sis file to get the sisx file that shud be installed on the device?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: help with SISX

Quote Originally Posted by aishaaisha View Post
    hi all,
    i debuged an application on device using carbided,
    Good. But this implies that the sis file was already signed before being sent to the phone for debugging, doesn't it?
    anybody knows how to sign the sis file to get the sisx file that shud be installed on the device?
    Do you mean signing the application for release? Then see http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...gn_Certificate and http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.ph...Signed_testing
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

no my application is not signed, how can i sign it?
    another question, in the sis folder, is the file that must be signed of *.pkg extention? becuause it is the only file available in the sis folder!!

The *.pkg file is a text file, open it and have a look inside but make sure you make no uncontrolled changes. It describes which files are expected to be packaged into a sis file and some of the sis file meta data. When you compile your application for device, and once you verify that the project was built successfully then you can expect that a SIS file is generated, and that is the file that needs to be signed and then sent to the device.

If you need help please describe exactly what you have done, what works and what does not. Using the Forum Nokia tutorials and getting started guides as a reference could also be a smart idea.

BTW, Carbide does the signing ok if:
    - it is properly configured (see Carbide's help)
    - it has something to sign, i.e. the build was successful

Alternatively you can do the signing manually, look for info about signsis.exe
    -- Lucian

If you are not yet a DVLUP member it is time to correct that mistake :) Click here to join: http://www.dvlup.com/lucian/Invite

hello ltomuta, ,my goal is to install the helloworldbasic example on my E90 mobile device using carbide C++ 1.3, i am using S60 3rd Ed FP1 sdk..
    so far, i was able to import the project to the carbide, and build it using the emulator debug, there are no errors and it works properly on the emulator. but, when i attempt to install it on the mobile using on device debugging guide, it doesnt work!! although i have installed the proper TRK edition and i am using usb connection and when i launch the trk i am able to connect to the pc, when i build the project; there is no sis file generated, there is only helloworldbasic.pkg. when i perform the on device debuging steps, when it asks for sis file, i load the helloworld.pkg and then it asks to sign the application and i choose sign the application and then i see the .sisx file. when i click debug in the final step, the file is not installed in the mobile!! i dont know why? is it because of some problems in signing the application?!! shuld i do this manually using the signSIS.exe?

Since you are using an imported project rather that one regenerated by Carbide it is likely that the tool does not know how to generate the sis file. So, select the project, then right click on it and select Properties. In the Properties dialog look for +Carbide, open that tree node and find something like Build configurations (sorry, I do not have a Carbide installation here so I cannot give you exact names for the options).

Make sure that the active configuration is GCCE UDEB and add (or edit) a packaging configuration to it by specifying the name of the pkg file (select from the combo box), the name for the output file (can be empty) and a signing option (self-signed). Then save that configuration and build again the project for the GCCE UREL target. If that does not produce a SIS file then there must be some errors in your project so you better check the output in the console.
    -- Lucian

I have done all the steps that u mentionedl, but,when i choose the self-signed option, three fields are there: signed sis file name, password, additional options. do i have to fill those feilds? the question is can the sis file be signed from the carbide or do i need some certificate to do so?

For self-signed you can either specify your own certificate (see makekeys.exe) or Carbide will generate one for you if you leave those fields empty.
    -- Lucian

I have done all the steps that u mentionedl, but,when i choose the self-signed option, three fields are there: signed sis file name, password, additional options. do i have to fill those feilds? the question is can the sis file be signed from the carbide or do i need some certificate to do so?
    Just leave the field for certificate and key blank. Just to be sure, give the name of output sis file (maybe YourApp.sis) and output of signed file (Maybe YourApp_Signed.sisx) and apply. Now when you build, check if yourApp_Signed.sisx file is there. That would indicate that you have got your application signed using the carbide generated certificate.

Thank u very much ltomuta and Symbian_Niel for ur help!

i have another question, where can i get example applications for the s60 3rd ed sdk other than those that available within the sdk? is there a good website that i can find useful applications there?

Thank u very much ltomuta and Symbian_Niel for ur help!

i have another question, where can i get example applications for the s60 3rd ed sdk other than those that available within the sdk? is there a good website that i can find useful applications there?

Well check http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Wiki_Home It has lots of example codes which can be put together to make an application. Forum Nokia itself is very rich in content with lots of documentations and code examples. for example http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/reso..._examples.html where you will find Symbian C++ related code examples. There are lots more..just look around

hello Symbian_Niel, i found the SilentSMS application, but the problem is that it is compatibale with S60 3rd Edition SDK Symbian OS, for C++, MR and i am using s60 3rd ed fp1 sdk,
    i get errors when i build it in my sdk in the soc.cpp file that is in the src folder!
    how can i fix the errors to make it work on my sdk version?

'Some errors' doesnt say much to be of help really to understand what could be the problem. I havent tried the example that you mention(Am not sure if all of us try all examples), but couple of notes I can share with you.

Some API's get added while a few could get deprecited from one SDK to other. So although most of the source code should compile in S60 3rd FP1 which work on S60 3rd MR and vice versa. Sometimes due to above reasons, it might not.

But that may not be the case in your example though. With your explaination of some 'error' its difficult to predict!!

Why do not you start with S60Ex\helloworldbasic?

Yes, I would agree with Wizard, try to get comfortable with some easier example, and understand all the basics like building, emulator, packaging, installing on Phone, etc with something as simple as Helloworld, and then move on to more challenging issues.