Discussion Board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem, Py-file is working, Sis NOT

EDIT:
    ok, fixed it by adding the capability for location...

BUT, now that i used my cert for creating the sis-file, are other people with other IMEIs able to sign and use the program?

ORIGINAL:
    hi...
    i've built a little tool which uses the locationrequestor module.
    when i start the py-script from the python shell, the programm is working 100% correct.
    but when i'm using the sis file i've made using ensymble, there's no gps-connection established. neither internal nor external gps works.
    is there anything i have to take care of when creating the sis-file?
    Last edited by szallah; 2008-06-01 at 03:00. Reason: Fixed

Nokia Developer Moderator

Smile Re: Problem, Py-file is working, Sis NOT

Quote Originally Posted by szallah View Post
    BUT, now that i used my cert for creating the sis-file, are other people with other IMEIs able to sign and use the program?
    You can have a self-signed application which the other people can use by signing it, either by their dev cert or by open signed online.

Best Regards,
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Re: Problem, Py-file is working, Sis NOT

when i use my dev cert (which i've made a while ago at symbiansigned.com), is the result of py2sis a "self-signed" sis file? i thought, that i just get the self-signed one when i DON'T use my cert (like "ensymlbe.py py2sis my-code.py")...

and: how can i make a generally UNSIGNED sis file?

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by szallah View Post
    when i use my dev cert (which i've made a while ago at symbiansigned.com), is the result of py2sis a "self-signed" sis file? i thought, that i just get the self-signed one when i DON'T use my cert (like "ensymlbe.py py2sis my-code.py")...

and: how can i make a generally UNSIGNED sis file?
    Basically we use the terms as follows:
    -unsigned:without any kind of signature; cannot be installed on the device until it is signed
    -self-signed:signed for example with Ensymble's signing feature; this kind of signing doesn't give you access to the capabilities provided by symbiansigned
    -signed:signed either with a devcert or via Open Signed Online; has capabilities

The best way to avoid confusion is to always add a short description to what you mean, like: "The application is self-signed (by Ensymble)" etc.

I don't think you can make an unsigned sis with Ensymble, but I really don't think you'll ever have to. Anyone can install apps signed with Ensymble's method.

so self-signed is the way to go...
    is my app still self-signed, and therefore signable and installable by other users, when i use my own cert with py2sis? i guess i'll have to do it that way to get the desired capabilities.

Super Contributor

Once you use your devcert when making the sis file, the application will be bound to your IMEI and thus unusable by others.

ok...
    then there's one more question:
    which capabilities are supported when using ensymbles default-cert?
    after googleing a bit this is what i have found:
    SIS files can be signed for all Platform Security Capabilities except CommDD, MultimediaDD, NetworkControl, DiskAdmin, DRM, AllFiles, TCB.

is this true when using the builtin cert?

Super Contributor

Yes, that's right. Ensymble supports signing with all the capabilities listed on www.symbiansigned.com. Actually if you think about it you can specify those capabilities too when making the file with Ensymble, just that there's no way of adding them to the application unless you pay for special signing.

and how do i know which caps i have to enable? by trial & error i finally got my (locationrequestor-)app working using:
    Code:
    ensymble.py py2sis caps=LocalServices+Location my-app.py
    but since i don't want to try that out for every app, it would be somehow useful to know when to use which cap...
    is there a list somewhere that shows which caps are needed for certain functions?

Super Contributor

Check this page.

great... i guess now i know everything i need to know right now about making sis-files...

thanks very much...

Hi All,

I'll post my queries here since the title is more appropriate for my issue.

I've finished converting my .py file to a .sis file using ensymble. Based from what I've been reading here at the Forum, the converted sis file is already signed and can be installed to the phone (mine's N80) right away. But when I uploaded the .sis file to the phone and installed it, the application won't start. I've tried several times running the .py files both in the emulator and in the phone and it works right.

Did I miss anything? Thanks for the help guys!

Super Contributor

Hi,

Sorry to say that apparently no one knows the exact cause of this problem yet. See this thread where the same issue is discussed, and the author of Ensymble, jethro.fn, recommends that the application be installed on the same drive as Python. So if Python is on phone memory (C:\), install your app on phone memory too. If it's on memory card (E:\), the app should be installed to memory card.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2008-06-03 at 04:41.

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    Hi,

Sorry to say that apparently no one knows the exact cause of this problem yet. See this thread where the same issue is discussed, and the author of Ensymble, jethro.fn, recommends that the application be installed on the same drive as Python. So if Python is on phone memory (C:\), install your app on phone memory too. If it's on memory card, the app should be installed to memory card.

Hope that helps
    Thanks for this bit of an info Bogdan, but upon checking the app manager, my application and the Python interpreter both reside in my memory card. You think this is the cause of my problem?

Any help would do. Thanks very much!

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by resident_pessimist View Post
    Thanks for this bit of an info Bogdan, but upon checking the app manager, my application and the Python interpreter both reside in my memory card. You think this is the cause of my problem?

Any help would do. Thanks very much!
    Having both Python and the application on the same drive (no matter if it's phone or card) should make it work. I just tested it on my N95 with them on memory card and it worked.

If it's not too much to ask, could you post the code of your application here? It sometimes happens that there is a small oversight in the code that makes the whole app malfunction.

And another thing you could try is the "exception harness" method described in this article (under Method 2).
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2008-06-03 at 05:14.