Discussion Board

Regular Contributor

Connection refused: remote device access

I'm trying to use remote device access for the first time, but I just get the message "connection refused: connect (with heading Connect to (localhost) failed)". What am I doing wrong? Why would it be trying to connect to localhost anyway?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: Connection refused: remote device access

Hello,

do you have a firewall that might be blocking the traffic to RDA server? Outgoing traffic to ports 80 and 1200 need to be allowed. The other possible cause might be that if you are behind a proxy server (ie. not using a direct connection - if there is an animation when the Java webstart client, then you are connecting from behind a proxy server), you may need to check your Java network settings from Control panel->Java->general->network setting. First you should try with the "use browser setting" alternative - if that doesn't work, then either fill in your proxy details or if you have a proxy configuration script, then specify the location to the file (for example: http://proxyconf/proxy.pac).

One more thing to check is that you have a proper version of JRE installed. Version 1.5.0 or newer is required.

Regular Contributor

The firewall is probably blocking port 1200. Guess I won't be using it then

I'd still advice you to check that your Java network settings are correct (check the proxy configuration there). It's worth the try.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the help. I checked those settings and they're fine. I'm connecting through a proxy server and firewall. I'm running JRE 1.6.0_04 so that's not the problem. And I've tried with different internet lines. So I'm pretty sure that it's the port issue. Just trying to verify that at the moment.

Regular Contributor

Smile Re: Connection refused: remote device access

hi,

do you have a firewall that might be blocking the traffic to RDA server? Outgoing traffic to ports 80 and 1200 need to be allowed. The other possible cause might be that if you are behind a proxy server (ie. not using a direct connection - if there is an animation when the Java webstart client, then you are connecting from behind a proxy server), you may need to check your Java network settings from Control panel->Java->general->network setting. First you should try with the "use browser setting" alternative - if that doesn't work, then either fill in your proxy details or if you have a proxy configuration script, then specify the location to the file (for example: http://proxyconf/proxy.pac).

One more thing to check is that you have a proper version of JRE installed. Version 1.5.0 or newer is required.

Regular Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem. I used RDA a few times, actually I was just using it, I left the RDA client for the IDE for a few minutes and when I came back I found that it didn't work. I disconnected it then I tried to connect again and I got the same message as Larry101. Then I tried from my linux box (the other one is a windows XP), same thing.

Note that it's not a firewall issue as the error message clearly shows that the client is trying to connect to localhost (or worse, maybe "(localhost)" ), which will evidently fail. I tried everything, two platforms, clearing the WebStart cache, etc. Is it maybe a temproral bug that surfaces time to time?

Regular Contributor

I'm replying to myself. It is actually a bug, and the client does try to connect to the localhost (i.e. it's not just the error message). I found a temporary solution, so read on . Here is a screenshot showing that for some reason it tries to connect to the localhost:

I made the screenshot by opening the port 1200 on localhost in listening mode (nc -l -p 1200). And the solution is of course to tunnel localhost:1200 to apu.ndhub.net:1200. I did it with SSH wich less than optimal but it does work:
    ssh localhost -R 1200:apu.ndhub.net:1200

It assumes that you have ssh and sshd on localhost. If you don't have sshd on localhost, then you can use another machine as the gateway instead of localhost. For example I use the following line to connect from my winXP laptop:
    ssh 192.168.1.2 -R 1200:apu.ndhub.net:1200

where 192.168.1.2 is the IP address of my linux box that has sshd installed (while my laptop does not have).

There are probably a lot of simple proxy programs out there that could be used instead. (I also have written one in the past but it logs all data.)

I also tried it with nc and it works for some reason, but it behaves quite strangely, and I don't really understand what happens, because the connection to localhost:1200 get closed down immediately (with some error message from nc I've never seen before), still it works. Here is the command line:
    nc -l -p ssh apu.ndhub.net 1200 .

Also from netsat it seems that after this action the RDA application connects to itself on port 1200:
    # netsat -nat | grep 1200
    tcp6 0 0 :::1200 :::* LISTEN
    tcp6 0 0 127.0.0.1:55051 127.0.0.1:1200 ESTABLISHED
    tcp6 0 0 127.0.0.1:58436 127.0.0.1:1200 ESTABLISHED
    tcp6 0 0 127.0.0.1:1200 127.0.0.1:55051 ESTABLISHED
    tcp6 0 0 127.0.0.1:1200 127.0.0.1:58436 ESTABLISHED

# fuser -v 1200/tcp
    USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
    1200/tcp: atleta 26479 F.... java

# fuser -v 58436/tcp
    USER PID ACCESS COMMAND
    58436/tcp: atleta 26479 F.... java

Strange. One interesting thing is that it tries to make a tcp6 connection and not tcp4...

Most probably, firewall is blocking your remote access. Try using remote support tools such as gosupportnow, logmeinrescue, GoToMyPC etc. and check whether you are able to establish remote connection between computers. If it works, kindly configure your firewall settings.

Are you aware of that this discussion has happened more than 4 years ago?