×

Discussion Board

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4

    Python eLearning in Forum Nokia

    Hi,
    Forum Nokia has published a new eLearning module on Python, have a look at:

    http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._Platform.html

    Best regards,
    tkenttam

  2. #2
    Regular Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    151

    Re: Python eLearning in Forum Nokia

    This is nice, but won't make much sense to beginners with little programming experience. Someone's clearly gone to a lot of effort here to highlight (in brief, and without any proper examples) what can be done. But where do people go next? Well, the very end of the elearning clip suggests we go to forum.nokia.com/python....let's try

    So from this page http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._Platform.html you might click on the Python link which takes you here http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...n_for_S60.html This page suggests that 1.2 is the current version, and is rather out of date, but is likely to be the official starting point for python newbies.

    Then they might follow that page's link (our opensource site) to here http://opensource.nokia.com/projects/pythonfors60/ which helpfully states that the current version is 1.3.8. This then links to sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/pys60 where new users are likely to be even more cunfused to find out the current version is 1.4.3

    From that page they might stumble across the link to this discussion forum (phew!), and then eventually they might find this wiki http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Python or even the most useful wiki http://wiki.forum.nokia.com/index.php/Category:Python and don't forget this one either http://wiki.opensource.nokia.com/pro...Python_for_S60

    So what I'm saying is that the current route to finding out about python is HORRIBLE!!!! Why should the 'official' nokia page be so out of date, why is it so difficult to find a proper page with the right links and the right versions? Those of you familiar with Python already know where to look; but for new users the current system is SO confusing, to the extent that it may put them off trying at all. Or, as numbers increase, they'll swamp this forum with simple questions that could have been averted by a decent PYs60 homepage.

    So, Nokia, please streamline the pys60 info out there on the www. Get rid of the out of date wikis and project pages, and give us a decent one stop shop for embarking upon pys60!

    Does anyone else agree, or am I on my own here?
    Last edited by jtullis; 2008-06-03 at 12:56.

  3. #3
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    976

    Re: Python eLearning in Forum Nokia

    Quote Originally Posted by jtullis View Post
    So what I'm saying is that the current route to finding out about python is HORRIBLE!!!! Why should the 'official' nokia page be so out of date, why is it so difficult to find a proper page with the right links and the right versions?
    ...
    Does anyone else agree, or am I on my own here?
    Completely agree and also reported when PyS60 1.4.3 was released. Unfortunately I wasn't as clear as you are

    Nokia people, please listen: update old links to point to relevant data! Help yourself to save time & effort, help DiBo to become more productive.

    Thanx in advance,

    --jouni

  4. #4
    Nokia Developer Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    21.46 N 72.11 E
    Posts
    3,800

    Smile Re: Python eLearning in Forum Nokia

    Quote Originally Posted by jtullis View Post
    So from this page http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n..._Platform.html you might click on the Python link which takes you here http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.n...n_for_S60.html This page suggests that 1.2 is the current version, and is rather out of date, but is likely to be the official starting point for python newbies.

    Then they might follow that page's link (our opensource site) to here http://opensource.nokia.com/projects/pythonfors60/ which helpfully states that the current version is 1.3.8. This then links to sourceforge http://sourceforge.net/projects/pys60 where new users are likely to be even more cunfused to find out the current version is 1.4.3
    Yes, this surely creates an ambiguity among the Newbies of pys60 regarding the version of Pys60.

    I think our friend Hartti had already reported this, but no progress yet.

    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/fo...0&postcount=13

    jtullis and JOM thanks for the Feedback, I will report this and hopefully we have this changed soon !

    Best Regards,
    Croozeus
    Last edited by croozeus; 2008-06-03 at 13:49.
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

  5. #5
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Tampere, Finland
    Posts
    524

    Re: Python eLearning in Forum Nokia

    I got recognition! Ensymble is mentioned in the eLearning module!

    I'm happy.

  6. #6
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Deva, Romania
    Posts
    3,471

    Re: Python eLearning in Forum Nokia

    Quote Originally Posted by jethro.fn View Post
    I got recognition! Ensymble is mentioned in the eLearning module!

    I'm happy.
    Congratulations Jussi! You deserve it. Ensymble is a fantastic tool.

  7. #7
    Super Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Espoo, Finland
    Posts
    976

    Re: Python eLearning in Forum Nokia

    Checked the video last night and it's pretty good (except the web link on last page going to confusing webpage). I even learned new things and got new ideas how to use some existing UI components!

    Whoever made it, a Big Warm Thank You !!!

    Looking forward to more videos

    --jouni

Similar Threads

  1. Nokia Image Converter
    By davidpurdie in forum General Development Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2004-02-18, 15:31
  2. Nokia Mobile VPN Client
    By marcyl in forum Symbian Networking & Messaging (Closed)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2003-12-01, 14:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
×