Discussion Board

SMS backup: your suggests?

Hi everyone!
    I'm mainly a web developer. I made a website (isms.netsons.org - soon with its own domain ) to make possible backing up SMS messages directly to a web database.
    Currently it's working only for my phone - the Apple iPhone. However, since I've been using Nokia phones for a very long time, and they are still widely used, I'd like to implement support for them (I was thinking to Series 60 phones in particular).

What are your suggestions to make it?

Currently, this is how it works for the iPhone: since it uses a SQLite database to store messages, it is uploaded to the server. The server reads it, scans for new messages and imports them.
    I think this won't be a good idea for Nokia phones, since they are using a proprietary format for SMS storing (and I cannot find the database file in phone's memory).

I accept any kind of suggests. Don't worry about the languages I will need to use: I can learn very fast (I've learnt objective-c in order to make the iPhone native app)

Thank you in advance,

Alessandro

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: SMS backup: your suggests?

Hello Alessandro, you can find many getting started guides around (check the Wiki, and FN main site).

After learning the basics, you will need to use the Messaging Server (the Msv refers to it in the class-names):
    - the connection is done via CMsvSession
    - CMsvSession::GetEntryL can give you a CMsvEntry, KMsvGlobalInBoxIndexEntryId is the id for the Inbox
    - CMsvEntry::ChildrenWithMtmL can give you a CMsvEntrySelection, KUidMsgTypeSMS is the necessary id for SMS-s
    - then you have a CMsvEntrySelection (which is an array of Messaging Server entry identifiers - 32 bit numbers - in practice)
    - CMsvEntry::SetEntryL for each identifiers you have
    - CMsvEntry::ReadStoreL gives you a CMsvStore object
    - CMsvStore::RestoreBodyTextL extracts the body of the given SMS
    - and CMsvEntry::Entry gives you a TMsvEntry object, containing header information as sender (in iDetails), timestamp (in iDate)

So it is not that complex, but you should not skip the basics.

Ok thank you.
    So, you suggest ussing C++? I'll look at it... After having learnt Obj-C, it shouldn't be that hard, doesn't it?

Nokia Developer Moderator

Yes, C++ (more precisely Symbian C++, so it has its own extras) is the native programming language of S60 devices (smartphones from Nokia and some other manufacturers), this is also true for UIQ (mainly Sony-Ericsson smartphones, but there are other manufacturers too).
    Java Micro Edition is not a viable choice for this particular purpose: you can not browse in messages from JavaME - at least as I know.
    You can also experiment with Python, a powerful script language which has S60 implementation too - I do not know Python, but you can find the Python board if you click back to "Programming Languages" on the top of this page.

ok, thank you.
    I'll try making something as soon as summer holidays arrive (2 days left! ).
    I think I'll start trying with Python first: since it's an interpreted language, it would be easier to use (there's no memory management etc).
    I'm keeping Symbian C++ as a second option.

However, thank you again for your opinion.