Discussion Board

Using N95 online via a wifi PC, possible ?

My Media Centre PC gets online via a wireless connection to my router but my N95 can't get a consistently good signal. Is there anyway to use the wireless Dlink card in the MCPC to get the N95 talking to the router ?

Thanks

Nokia Developer Expert

Re: Using N95 online via a wifi PC, possible ?

I have no problems with my Linksys WLAN AP. Would you share your AP model, sw version and sw version of your N95?
    [B]Forum Nokia Americas[/B]
    Forum Nokia provides a wealth of resources to mobile developers. To be informed about the latest on mobile tools, devices and technologies, register [B][URL="http://www.forum.nokia.com/main/registration/registration.html"]here[/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by nly View Post
    I have no problems with my Linksys WLAN AP. Would you share your AP model, sw version and sw version of your N95?
    What I'm actually asking I think is impossible anyway, but, here's the requested info.
    My Media Centre PC uses a Dlink DWL-G520 PCI wireless card, latest driver and my N95 is using v21 firmware.

I have a high gain antenna on the Dlink card to ensure good connection to the router. My N95's reception is no where near as good. When I'm near my router the N95 works fine.

What I'm hoping to find out is if anyone has been able to get a Nokia accessing a WLAN network via a pc ON that WLAN network. This is different to having the N95 talk to the router directly. ie N95 talks to PC via WLAN, PC then passes this onto Router via WLAN.

I sort of do this already with a Playstation 2. The PS2 is on LAN to the PC, that port is bridged with WLAN card so the PC actually handles the PS2 connection to the router.

My understanding of an "Access Point" is it converts a LAN port so it can access a WLAN, and a "Range Extender" retransmits a WLAN signal, from a router, to other devices that would not normally be in range of the Router.

Super Contributor

You'd probably have to have two WLAN adapters on the PC, and convert it to a router with suitable software/settings.

The simplest method would be to just added a wifi booster to the family room to extend the range of my router's WLAN transmission. But I didn't want to add extra hardware JUST for the N95.

I might look into how I can create an ADHOC network between N95 and family room PC and then see if I can bridge that to the WLAN the family room PC receives. I use network bridging to get my Playstation online via the family room PC.

Cheers