Discussion Board

Hybrid View

Class not found errors

I'm new to MIDP programming but have not been able to find any reference to what is obviously a common problem either in the documentation or in the forum.

However I am trying to port programms written in standard Java (Sun JDK 1.3.1) to 6310 SDK using JBUILDER, but have come across compile errors where certain classes are not present in the Nokia classes.zip. One example is java.net.*.

It seems I will have to re-write my classes to use an alternative to java.net, but what is the easiest way to do this? Is there any documentation which acts as a guide to the classes that are available??

Thanks in advance
    Bernard

Regular Contributor

RE: Class not found errors

Hello Bernard,

Networking in J2ME is very simple. You have only HttpConnection class available (there are some other optional networking classes, but they are not supported in Nokia Java phones). This means that any socket connection needs to be remodeled into a HttpConnection - Servlet - HttpConnection system. Servlet stores information from sending MIDlet and retreiving MIDlet polls the server for information (think of SMTP store and forward system).

J2ME class documentation is available with any Nokia phone SDK in docs directory.

Regards,

Petteri / Forum Nokia

Nokia Developer Expert

RE: Class not found errors

Hello

I guess there is no easy way instructions for doing this,
    instead of, please have a look at j2me MIDP spec and
    use classes according the spesicification.