Discussion Board

Question Nokia 6131 - Restrict dialing to allowed numbers? Store NFC tag data if no service?

We want to make a product that uses the RFID capabilities of the Nokia 6131. Basically, inspectors read RFID tags on equipment using the 6131 and the tag information is transmitted to a server application. We are currently only exploring what can be done in order to decide whether to go ahead with the project, so detailed answers are not needed. If we go ahead with this we will acquire the needed expertise on the 6131 side of things, perhaps by hiring someone. I hope my questions are appropriate here.

1. It is desirable to prevent users from making personal calls with the phones. Is it possible to programmatically restrict the 6131 to sending data only, or prevent it from dialing all telephone numbers except emergency numbers, or prevent all numbers except those in an "allowed" list?

2. If an RFID tag is read when the 6131 has no service available (dead spot, out of service area, etc), can the tag data be stored in a database within the phone for later transmission when communication becomes available?

Nokia Developer Champion

Re: Nokia 6131 - Restrict dialing to allowed numbers? Store NFC tag data if no servic

1) With a MIDlet? No.
    Having a data only SIM card in there could be one solution (I hope such things exists, you need to ask your operator :-)
    Or restricting the calls from the operators side.
    Unfortunately I do not have 6131 NFC at my hands right now, so I cannot say for sure if there is a settings option for this... That would require manual settings change though.

2) If you have an application on the phone which does that, then yes. And yes, that kind of funtionality is possible with (Java ME) MIDlets.

Hartti