Discussion Board

Thread: gSoap timeout?

Regular Contributor

gSoap timeout?

Hi,

Short story
    I need to know which library to link, in order to use the select() function.

Long story, for those interested

Since I've failed to implement timeout using Nokia's Web Service package, I've tried to use gSoap.

The problem now is that SOAP implements timeout using Berkeley socket functions, and specifically the function select(), which on UNIX is defined in sys/select.h. All the related code is #deffed out in the gSoap generated code in case of Symbian. I've #deffed it in, and now I'm looking for ways to make it work.

This is what I've found so far:
    • sys\select.h exists under epoc32\include\stdapis, but not under epoc32\include\libc.
    • libc is the one that SOAP documentation says we need to use on Symbian.
    • When I try to use stdapis instead of libc it compiles fine, but then I get linkage errors for the following symbols: atol, __inet_addr, select.
    • When I try to use only libc and add a manual forward declaration of select(), I get a linkage error.

Anybody knows which library I should link with to get select()? Would it cause me some linkage ambiguity, similar to the compilation collisions I had?

Thanks,
    Nadav

Nokia Developer Moderator

Re: gSoap timeout?

I do not know the answer, but it is not exactly promising that "» Symbian OS v9.1 » Symbian OS reference » C++ component reference » Syslibs STDLIB" in the SDK Help contains many socket-related functions (like recv, recvfrom, etc.), and it does not mention select.

Regular Contributor

Re: gSoap timeout?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_hu_ View Post
    I do not know the answer, but it is not exactly promising that "» Symbian OS v9.1 » Symbian OS reference » C++ component reference » Syslibs STDLIB" in the SDK Help contains many socket-related functions (like recv, recvfrom, etc.), and it does not mention select.
    Well, there must be a way to make it work, because I've seen some posts by people who have actually used it (though I don't remember where...).

Anyway, I think I'm going to give up on this, and instead use a regular asynchronous HTTP client, writing and reading the XML's manually (like in the Yahoo Images example).
    Last edited by nadav70; 2008-06-06 at 17:21.