Discussion Board

Signing python sis modules

Do I understand it correctly that SymbianSigned.com has made it impossible for casual programmers with a Nokia E61 to make serious pys60 applications like those accessing position.

After careful selection I choose to buy a E61 a year ago, mainly because of the "open source" python. Now it seems that the what they call "simplified signing" made this option of the phone worthless. Can I reclaim my money at symbiansigned or Nokia?? The symbian website still shouts "Symbian OS, the open mobile operating system". Open to whom?

OR,... are there workable options giving the freedom you expect from "the open mobile operating system"?? I considered the until recently working solution "ensymble signsis --cert=mycert.cer --key=mykey.key unsigend.sis signed.sis" workable but the new online option is not and certainly the offline for $200 a year is not!!

Any optimism anywhere, at Nokia perhaps?
    Janwillem

Super Contributor

Re: Signing python sis modules

I believe you can access positioning with the "Location" capability.

I agree, symbiansigned is a mess, but apart from the ability to have a devcert it wasn't really better before. Basically you can do the same things as before, just that there's the annoyance of having to submit a sis file for signing every time you change something about your program.

Super Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jwevandijk View Post
    "Symbian OS, the open mobile operating system". Open to whom?
    I believe the current "semi-official" interpretation is that it's called "open", because you have half a dozen different ways to write software for Symbian OS: Symbian C++, Java ME, python, FlashLite, Web-RunTime and Open C/C++.

Therefore in a way it's more open to developers than any other mobile platform. Disclaimer: this is my unofficial interpretation, since I've been wondering the same thing...

Cheers,

--jouni

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan.galiceanu View Post
    I believe you can access positioning with the "Location" capability.

I agree, symbiansigned is a mess, but apart from the ability to have a devcert it wasn't really better before. Basically you can do the same things as before, just that there's the annoyance of having to submit a sis file for signing every time you change something about your program.
    Yes sometimes that is correct but e.g. for MISO of which the cert has expired, it fails with "FAILURE: Submitted .sis file uses a UID that is not allocated to the account holder matching this email address (0xf0206ba4 )". After reading dozens of web pages and "Mobile Python" I am now stuck and my picture viewer/manipulator does not work anymore.