Discussion Board

XML and cElementTree

I want to parse and create XML files in PyS60. A number of people have mentioned cElementTree. I downloaded the “installation package for 3rd” from http://ssalmine.googlepages.com/somepys60extensions. When I attempt to install it I get a “Certificate Expired” error.

What do I need to do? Can I get cElementTree for 3rd ed. from anywhere else?

Many thanks
    Ian

N95 8G and PythonForS60_1_4_3

Re: XML and cElementTree

Quote Originally Posted by ianw View Post
    I want to parse and create XML files in PyS60. A number of people have mentioned cElementTree. I downloaded the “installation package for 3rd” from http://ssalmine.googlepages.com/somepys60extensions. When I attempt to install it I get a “Certificate Expired” error.

What do I need to do? Can I get cElementTree for 3rd ed. from anywhere else?

Many thanks
    Ian

N95 8G and PythonForS60_1_4_3
    This problems came from the self-signed certificate expires after 6 months ! So you can selfsigned sign it yourself !
    easy method is downloading (Mobile signer free application google for finding it !) on your 3rd ed device and self sign the expired file.
    Now you can open new re-signed file and install it on your device
    with any file browser (as YBrowser)
    Good luck
    Cyke64
    pys60 1.4.5 and 2.0.0, pygame, PyS60 CE on E90 and 5800 !

Find my pys60 extension modules on cyke64.googlepages.com

Quote Originally Posted by cyke64 View Post
    This problems came from the self-signed certificate expires after 6 months ! So you can selfsigned sign it yourself !
    easy method is downloading (Mobile signer free application google for finding it !) on your 3rd ed device and self sign the expired file.
    Now you can open new re-signed file and install it on your device
    with any file browser (as YBrowser)
    Good luck
    Cyke64
    Many thanks. Can I use symbiansigned.com OpenSign?

Super Contributor

If you downloaded "pys60-3rd-elementtree-v0.20060925.sisx", I don't think you will be able to open sign it at Symbian Signed. Feel free to try, but you'll most likely get an error like "Application extension must be sis". If the app requires certain special capabilities I think you're stuck, unless you have a devcert. If not, you can use Ensymble's signsis method (see the readme on Ensymble's site).

Or you could rebuild it from the source code on that site, making it a sis file, and then open signing it. Might be a complicated process though.
    Last edited by bogdan.galiceanu; 2008-06-09 at 16:49.

Nokia Developer Moderator

Many thanks. Can I use symbiansigned.com OpenSign?
    You can use the Mobile Signer by Leftup,as suggested by Cyke64, where you can sign the file on your mobile itself. No PC required

You can also you Ensymble to sign the file.

In both the cases you require a dev cert from www.symbiansigned.com which they no longer provide free of charge.

Moreover, if you want a work around, just set the date back, and then install the expired version

Best Regards,
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

So pys60-3rd-elementtree-v0.20060925.sisx wasn’t signed with a dev certificate?

I’m not sure I’ve got my head round all this signing and certificate stuff yet! Could you help with these questions?..

If I use Ensymble to create a .sis app from .py file it creates a selfsigned app with its default certificate - if I don’t have a dev certificate?
    Will this app stop working sometime after it was installed when the certificate expires?
    Or, I just have a limited time to install the .sis file after it has been created?
    If I use OpenSign (no dev certificate) I can install my app on a specified phone but the certificate will not expire?

If I have a dev certificate I can install my apps on any phone and the apps will not expire?

Thank you for your patience!

Ian

Super Contributor

Here are some pointers from the Guide to Symbian Signed, which I recommend you read fully.
    Open Signed Online restrictions and limitation:
    • This signing option is not to be used for any form of commercial distribution of
    applications.
    • If UIDs from the protected range are used, they must have been allocated to the account
    associated with the email address.
    • UIDs outside the protected range may be used.
    • No Publisher ID is required so there is no validation of developer identity, except for a
    confirmation that the email address supplied is live at the time of certificate issue.
    Therefore, end users may be presented with an install time warning and prompted to
    complete installation.
    • Applications are restricted by device IMEI to one device.
    • No access to Restricted Capabilities or Device Manufacturer Capabilities.
    • Applications are signed with a Developer Certificate against the Symbian A Root certificate.
    • Signed applications are valid for 36 months from the date of signing.

Smile Re: XML and cElementTree

So pys60-3rd-elementtree-v0.20060925.sisx wasn’t signed with a dev certificate?
    It is signed but the cert has expired

If I use Ensymble to create a .sis app from .py file it creates a selfsigned app with its default certificate - if I don’t have a dev certificate?
    Yes, if you do not provide your dev cert while making the SIS file, it is selfsigned with the ensymble's default cert.

[INDENT]Will this app stop working sometime after it was installed when the certificate expires?
    Or, I just have a limited time to install the .sis file after it has been created?
    Dev certs usually have an expiry period after 6months.

Selfsigned certs have expiry period after 30 years (I guess)

If I use OpenSign (no dev certificate) I can install my app on a specified phone but the certificate will not expire?
    The Opensigned application will be signed with cert valid for 6 months. So you can install it to the specific device withing those 6 months.

If I have a dev certificate I can install my apps on any phone and the apps will not expire?
    As I said dev certs also have an expiry period of 6 months and in some cases 3 years.

Best Regards,
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Ok I think I’m getting there!

Quote Originally Posted by croozeus View Post
    Dev certs usually have an expiry period after 6months.

Selfsigned certs have expiry period after 30 years (I guess)

Just so to be clear, the “expiry period” is the time to install the app. Once the app is installed it won’t stop working after 6 months?

And I can use Ensymble to selfsigned pys60-3rd-elementtree-v0.20060925.sisx with the ensymble's default cert?

Many thanks
    Ian

Ok I think I’m getting there!

Just so to be clear, the “expiry period” is the time to install the app. Once the app is installed it won’t stop working after 6 months?

And I can use Ensymble to selfsigned pys60-3rd-elementtree-v0.20060925.sisx with the ensymble's default cert?

Many thanks
    Ian
    No it won't stop working after 6 months.

But you can only install in to a device within those 6 months (However, there have been people hacking around, and setting the phone date backwards, and installed the expired version of application )

SelfSigned cert do not offer all the capabilities, they just offer some basic capabilities, so you will need to use your dev cert.

Best Regards,
    Croozeus
    Pankaj Nathani
    www.croozeus.com

Thank you all. You've been most helpful