Discussion Board

Access to other task's window structure

For an usability project, we would like to monitor user interactions with a Symbian S60 3rd device, like a Nokia N80. Is it possible to acquire data (read only) about the window structure (windows, text fields, buttons and so on) of the application currently running in the foreground? Is there possibly also a way to find out which element currently has the keyboard focus?

While it is possible to find the numerical id of the foreground window group (via RWsSession.GetFocusWindowGroup and RWsSession.GetWindowGroupHandle), I seem to be unable to find a way to instantiate a corresponding RWindowGroup object (or, for that matter, any other MWsClientClass-derived object) from which it would be possible to find the child objects.
    A RWindowGroup.Construct() on the numeric handle produces a KERN-EXEC 3, so I assume this is not the way to go.
    Is it possible to obtain this kind of information at all in this manner (or any other)? Currently we are using screenshots; however, this is not really a satisfactory solution.

I am aware that similar questions have been posted before, but seemingly nobody has come up with a good answer yet.

Thanks,

Frank Peters

Super Contributor

Re: Access to other task's window structure

Each application typically consists of one real window and various fake windows within the real window. These container windows are process local and so are not visible to other processes.

Likewise text is not associated with a window so its not possible to get the default text for windows.

Sorry but this is not Windows, its Symbian
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Todd View Post
    Each application typically consists of one real window and various fake windows within the real window. These container windows are process local and so are not visible to other processes.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but those windows you mentioned (including the "fake" ones) are usually clients of the window server, i.e. the application has a handle (a RXxxx object) for an object on the WSERV. I would hardly call that "process local".

Likewise text is not associated with a window so its not possible to get the default text for windows.
    I do not currently need the windows text, since it would change with localisation anyway. I need the windows structure, meaning the parent-child relations.

Sorry but this is not Windows, its Symbian
    Yes, I know. While Windows might be a security nightmare and buggy beyond belief, at least you do not need a written permission from your manufacturer to get things done.

Thank you for your effort.

Super Contributor

Correct me if I am wrong, but those windows you mentioned (including the "fake" ones) are usually clients of the window server, i.e. the application has a handle (a RXxxx object) for an object on the WSERV. I would hardly call that "process local".
    As I said, there is normally one "real window" with a corresponding handle to the windows server. This then is linked to a container CCoeControl. The CCoeControl then uses CountComponentControls and ComponentControl which are used to handle the embedded containers in the control, such as a listbox or label. These do not have a corresponding window id. Thus there is a c++ class but no corresponding windows handle.
    Download Symbian OS now! [url]http://developer.symbian.org[/url]